Player Start no player start?

Can anyone help me here?

Upon creating a new level I move my player start to the landscape. There will be water features soon and I don’t want to adjust my landscape’s Z height if I can avoid it as it tends to mess with the water zone for some reason.

However, even when moving my Player start, whenever I start the game it places me way up in the sky. How to fix? Cheers

I’m thinking your landscape probably has a massive collision box surrounding it, which the player is sitting on top of?

How did you make it, is it a mesh, or from a heightmap or… ?

You can check it out in player collision mode

1 Like

It’s an imported heighmap. I used the 3rd person starter template to build upon. Maybe that’s the issue?

Did you look at the collision?

1 Like

I did, yes. It only showed collision on the landscape itself. Nothing above or around that I could see

Hey @RLK_III!

I see in your initial screenshot you have the “playground” assets hidden but not removed. Have you removed the player start from that/all of those assets? Also, would you mind sharing the collision/blueprint viewport of your character as well?

Hmmm… no, I’m pretty sure I deleted all of those assets…

The player is the standard 3rd person manny that comes with the starter content. The video shows what I see when I turn on ‘player collision’.

I guess I COULD just create another player manny and start the level with that, but not sure of that will resolve the issue…

No - created a new manny BP and set a new player start to a location on the surface of the map but no dice. Still tries to start me in the sky…

this is everything I see at where the character tries to spawn… the box you see is just post-process volume.

However, I do notice that in my outliner, ‘player start’ has (unloaded)… not sure why

Alright @RLK_III,

This is odd behavior. Out of curiosity, what do you have your game mode override set as in your world settings. If you can’t move your character when pressing play and this is set to none or something else, set it to third person and that should fix it.

If only it were that simple :slight_smile:

If you look into my posting history, especially with water issues, you’ll see encountering “odd issues” has become my specialty…

And yeah - I made sure the starting character was my new manny.

Hey @RLK_III,

I completely understand. :smiley: Your default pawn class is “test manny” what does that do? Just a renamed duplicate of the original Third Person character? Or did you change it in any other way?

Also, you did mention trying to make a new level, did the same effect happen?

It’s just a duplicate. I mean, I created the BP, selected the mesh and the animation BP… but all the same from the original.

Yeah. if I left the original platform, the character spawned on it. If I adjusted the ENTIRE landscape up to level with the platform, it was fine. However, keeping the landscape at Z 100 or 0 and moving the player start down causes the issue.

I’ve had water zone issues when lifting the landscape to +22,000 on the Z before, so I try to avoid it.

Alright @RLK_III,

So trying to recreate the conditions so far has not yielded your results. Maybe we need to start from the beginning to diagnose the issue. You said you created your landscape from a heightmap? What happens if you (re)create your landscape as a flat landscape? This may let us know if it is the landscape causing the issue or not. Feel free to adjust the height, etc.

Ya, on a flat map it seems to spawn fine… even when I lower the map to z -15000, when I place the player start on the map the character spawns there.

Grrrrr… so it’s the heightmap? Buggar! Surely there’s got to be a workaround

Okay @RLK_III,

Looks like it, but that narrows things down a lot. Your heightmap is only grayscale correct? Have you tried recreating your landscape with your heightmap a second time?

Grayscale, yes.

Deleted the old landscape and re-imported it again. Same issue…

Hey @RLK_III,

Looks like it may be the case that it is your heightmap somehow. Just to make sure, you are using the landscape import tool to do so right?

The results after importing a random heightmap for context:

Yep! Created in World Machine, but I’ve had the same issues importing from Gaea.

Alright @RLK_III,

Are you using raw16 format for your height map?

I fixed it… GAH! I KNEW it was something stupid… a little, tiny, easy-to-miss thing…

World Bounds Checks needs to be OFF. If it’s on and you try to spawn outside of the limits set by UE… nada.

You could probably hear the facepalm from wherever you are…

2 Likes