"Play When Silent" doesn't work [Bug?]

Hey guys,

I want my sound to play regardless if the player can hear it or not. So, i turned the virtualization mode to “Play when Silent.” This has worked for me in the past, but this time it literally just doesn’t work. The sound still stops when the volume is adjusted to 0.

I’m using Unreal Engine 5.3

Help would be very appreciated :sob:

1 Like

Any fix for this found? I’m running Unreal 5.1.1 and I’m facing the same issue. I’ve made sure to check what the virtualization mode is right before volume changes, and it does say PlayWhenSilent, so I’m baffled. For reference, I’m using an AdjustVolume node on an AudioComponent, which is playing a Sound Cue. The Sound Cue concatenates two sounds, and both the sounds are also set to PlayWhenSilent.

Hey,

I forgot to come back to this but I think i solved half the issue.
We both had the same problem of using the “Adjust Volume” node, and it cutting out when the volume gets adjusted to 0, even with “Play when silent” on the audio clip.

Now i’m pretty sure that this is still a bug, but the way that i fixed it in my case was simply just using a “Set Volume Multiplier” node and manually changing the volume like that instead (so if you’re trying to fade it, maybe try using the Lerp node with a timeline attached).

It solved my issue, but regardless i still feel like the “Adjust Volume” shouldn’t just stop the audio clip.

Hopefully this helps someone.