Play In Editor takes forever to Load

Every time I hit play in editor, it takes around 15-20 seconds to load the level. I thought that it could be due to all the blueprints using the “Begin Play” node that’s causing the long load times. Is there way to find out what’s causing this?

Could you post your system specs? Personally I’ve got:

AMD-7850K 4.3GHz Quad Core APU $170
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM $120
MSI A88X-G43 Motherboard $110
650W Sentey PSU $45

My UE4 runs just dandy, I recommend you upgrade if you have anything less that a 3GHz Dual-Core, or less than 8GB RAM.

This happens to me after I’ve been working for a while. I find restarting the editor makes PIE snappy again. Hopefully this works for you!

Alternatively, you can try turning off “Auto Recompile Blueprints” in Editor Preferences->Play. You’ll have to make sure your BPs are compiled manually before you play.

i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz
12GB Crucial RAM
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
GTX 660
700W OCZ PSU

I’ll probably be upgrading my rig later this year, but so far I haven’t had any performance issues.

Your rig looks fine to me. I suggest you take a look at your task manager’s CPU/RAM numbers while PIE is loading, that may be able to help narrow a few things down. I suggest you don’t have any loops run when the game loads up.

Turning off “Auto Recompile Blueprints” seems to be working! However, I noticed that a popup box displays the blueprints that haven’t been compiled yet when quite a few of them are ones I haven’t modified since the last PIE.

Yep, that happens to me too. You can’t have your cake and eat it too in this situation it seems. It’s either a long wait or a mad clicking dash.

You must have some pretty crazy blueprint stuff going on for that, lots of procedural generation or something?

In my current project I have hundreds of objects generated at runtime that are quite complex and I only take 2-3 seconds.

I don’t reccomend that happening right when the game loads up, but maybe a few seconds after; if your game freezes when you click to play in editor, you won’t know whether or not is is the generation that froze it, or something else.

Hi I found that when I switched my levels from Blueprint to Always loaded in the change level streaming option in the level manager I had very long waiting times. Change them to blueprint streaming and it was back to normal 5 second wait at maximum.

For me, restarting the computer or restarting the engine does the trick. Sometimes for me, the game lags while playing inside the editor and restarting the engine or the computer also fixes that issue.
Hope this help! :+1: