Play Animation node stops character movement animations

I am adapting the Third Person Character blueprint and using a skeletal mesh with animations from Mixamo. I have created an animation blueprint and animation blend space which work fine, however the jump animation gets wonky when triggered.
The animation starts with a crouch, but because of how the Jump function works the character starts the animation already in the air. To overcome this problem I created my own jump function which plays the animation, calls a delay for half a second, then launches the character into the air.

The trouble is now, once the jump finishes, all movement animations stop and the character glides around instead of walking or running!

anim

It is definitely the Play Animation node that is causing this, but I can’t seem to find a solution.
Has anybody else experienced this problem, or have suggestions on what I could do to solve this issue?

Just wanted to give a quick update on how I managed to solve the issue. After the Launch Character node I added a Set Animation Mode node and set it to use Animation Blueprint.

There were a few other things I had to do to get things to look just right, but this stopped the sliding around movement after jumps.

anim_update

2 Likes

I think you could consider using animation montages.
Seems to be easier to make one-shot(or looping) animations work in a variety of situations
I’d imagine it may be much less of a hassle since you wouldn’t have to set animation modes with delay time set up.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll have a look into these. :slightly_smiling_face: