Play anim montage with multiple meshes sharing a skeleton

Hello! Im having small issue i cant seem to find the answer to regarding playing anim montages on a character with multiple meshes.

So i have a character which is divided into sections such as arms, legs, head, hair, torso and so on. The player character has multiple skeletal meshes as a result of this but all parts share the same skeleton. I’ve managed to set up an anim blueprint that works well, all the meshes play the regular run, jump, idle and so on animations without a problem.

Then there are anim montages. For some reason, only the “original” skeletal mesh in thirdpersonBP (the one tagged as CharacterMesh0) is playing the montage while the other parts keep playing the current animation in the anim blueprint.

Is there a way to make all the meshes in a character play a montage at the same time?

Thank you for your time!

Well, it turns out all i had to do was create a master bone component and set my default mesh as the master and every other mesh as target.

1 Like

Hi @Fozzoul , can you elaborate on how you fixed this with the specific component types/properties? I have the same issue, and having all the Meshes under a parent component hasn’t helped so far. (I can’t find anything called a “Master Bone Component” like you mentioned)

Thanks for your time!

1 Like

Apologies, I’ve found the solution. First issue, for anyone else encountering it and ending up here, was that it was renamed to Leader Pose Component, the second was that I was expecting it to be a component, when it is actually a method to run in the constructor for your actor (i’m running it in the main skeletal mesh component of my pawn)

3 Likes

In case anyone else ends up here, this is the workflow.

2 Likes

I made an array of all the components of mesh sharing the skeleton and played the anime montages on that array variable using for loop…and its works… what does seting up leader pose component do what this simple array cant do? any performance cost for using array cos I have to use for loop to play montages on all the elements of that array.

Thanks you so much! You saved my life!