Play a specific frame using a frame number as parameter?

Is there a way to play a specified frame? I have an animation that’s doing blending since the linear blending wasn’t working out. So what I need is a way to play a specific frame from this blend animation. Can it be done?

Hey,

In the aimoffset explanation in the documentation they do something clever. They duplicate the animation and remove all frames except the the one the want to blend to from the duplicate and save. Its then a matter of blending between the duplicated ‘one-frame animation’ and back. Not sure if this helps but if so google UE4 aimoffset for more details.

Thats an interesting idea, you could cut up an animation into its individual frames in your 3d app and import them like that. Then in ue4 you set up a blendspace 1d and name the input attribute ‘time’ or ‘frame’ and add each frame anim to the blendspace. Then you can use that via a timeline where you can set start time, play, reverse, loop, make a custom curve, etc. etc.

Yeah, seems to work well and removing all but the frame you want in the engine is a 4 click process :slight_smile:

In my case, I have a fairly complex motion that doesn’t lend itself to simple linear blending such as used by the 1D blend space. But it works fine using the spline animation in the model editor. This is why it would be nice to have the blending rolled into an animation strip that you could then select which frame to play based on some value. Right now, you need a lot of frames entered into the 1D blend space to accomplish the same thing which is a bit annoying.

Could you elaborate more on what the final outcome of this will be? Maybe this is a workaround for a problem that can be solved in a much better way.
What are you trying to do with this? What is it for?

Just in case anyone else is looking for this in future:

Right-click on your animation sequence -> Convert to single frame animation

This converts it from a sequence player to a sequence evaluator. You can then enter a float variable telling it what time to evaluate the animation.

2 Likes

Does this option still exist in UE4 4.22 and later? I can’t seem to find the option to “Convert to single frame animation”.

I know you asked this a while back… but i’ve been searching for the answer for an age! and think i’ve sorted it.

If you go into your animation blueprint > animgraph > then into an animation state itself, you can right click and convert to sequence from there… (i hope that makes sense?!)

1 Like
1 Like