Pixel art flipbook ghosting with TAA/TSR

Do you really need deferred rendering? Because if not you could probably use the forward renderer which will allow you to use MSAA

Oh yeah, you’re right!! I got MSAA mixed in my head with SMAA as usual, but yeah, I think switching to forward would be a great alternative. I was kinda excited to use Lumen though, so I’ll have to do some tests and weigh the pros and cons.

Edit: Tried it in a new project and it’s working. I must’ve been unlucky.
Last time I tried though, I was getting some complicated bugs with forward + MSAA. Whenever I enabled both the engine would crash and not boot back up. After switching to DX11, it would at least launch but having MSAA on would break the whole rendering. It’s an annoying little detail that will be a bit annoying to fix, as I’ve seen this bug reported before but without any definite fixes. I’ll try to get it working though!

Upscaling somewhat solves this issue. However, it seems like you’ve tried a lot of various things to achieve the result you are looking for. You lose a lot of functionality by disabling Temporal AA. So I would leave that on and instead focus on removing the ghosting, which is done by disabling motion blur. You can always implement your own aliasing method, however I wouldn’t recommend that since it is probably rather difficult.

I don’t have the skills to write my own AA solution indeed hahaha, but you gave me a nice idea that involves modifying UE5’s TAA shader. If I could just read from a custom stencil buffer, I could change the TAA weight inside the flipbook to a higher value like 1 and that would fix it. Sounds too easy to be true though, it might introduce some artifacts that will be harder to fix. But I’d love to try it anyway. I can’t find any information on modifying Unreal’s shaders however, so I have no idea how to include a reference to a custom stencil or another render texture inside of it.

Do you guys have experience with modifying source shaders?

Thanks a lot for your replies! Cheers.