Pivots from Maya to UE5

Hi everyone,

I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times, but I can’t seem to find a good answer to it so here it goes.
I have a car CAD model in Maya. I set all of my pivot points so that I can open the doors and turn the wheels. As most of you are aware already when you import meshed into UE it pretty much ignores those pivot locations and places everything in the scene center. I don’t care at this point why it does that, but I do want to know how in the world do I get them back where they were originally set in Maya. The car is a BulePrint so that may be a bit tricky from what I was able to figure out.

Here is the screenshot from Maya

Can someone tell me how to get this done before I throw myself under a bus :slight_smile:
Thank you.

Put locators on the main body of the mesh name them something like “SOCKET_L_Door” and when you import the main body of the car it will have sockets you can attach the door to.

This is the car in UE5:

And this is the Blueprint:

Put the locators where? in Maya or UE? Place them on the doors and wheels at the pivot points? I don’t want to go back to Maya because if I re-import the meshes everything I did so far will be overwritten and I will have to redo it all over again. Assuming I do this how do I attach the door/wheels in the Blueprint to the locators. Can you be a bit more specific? Thank you :slight_smile:

If you really wanted to attach static meshes, I’d put the “door socket” ( maya locator) on the main body in Maya, and the door would need to have a pivot that works with the socket. Then in Unreal you would parent the door under the body, where the socket is.

FBX Static Mesh Pipeline | Unreal Engine Documentation

“… if I re-import the meshes everything I did so far will be overwritten and I will have to redo it all over again”

Consider working in a way where re importing a mesh does not break everything.

Is there a reason you want to go this route instead of rigging the car with joints?

1 Like

hey can you tell the process in steps i want to do a simple door opening animation since the pivot is not set am having trouble animating it even when i set the pivot in ue5 and do a simple rotation animation mesh just leaves it place even