Some people might give me slack for this, but since one of the persons whom I provided this Take-down notice example suggested to post it on the forums… here goes.
This is a fairly simple, yet effective DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) take-down notice you marketplace peeps can send to websites that have stored your content without your consent. (basically a pirate uploaded it there)
I am sure others might be able to write a better one, but so far this one hasn’t failed me.
I’m not posting this to cause a debate if piracy should be stopped, or that it can/might actually result in more sales on the long run.
If you feel uncomfortable with your content being online/shared without your permission, I highly suggest sending a DMCA take-down notice to the website that has your content stored.
(Most of the time no use sending one to the website that just links your content, but you can ask google to remove any links to it)
To learn more on how to ask google those links to be removed, read: http://bzzzsocial.com/how-to-issue-a-dmca-takedown-notice-to-google/
My personal experience is that websites will comply with the take-down request, and often do so within 1-2 workdays.
Sure, your file might still be out there but I find that one sleeps a lot better knowing it has been taken down from easy-to-find places.
Please note, occasionally a website asks for additional proof like scanned documentation of passport, ID, that sort of stuff.
My suggestion in those cases is to mask off a few numbers/letters/dates and mention that you are doing this for privacy and that they can get an unaltered version on request.
Example! (bold parts are optional)
Hello people from [Website that hosts the files]
My name is [Name, last name] and known in the game development community as [User name/nickname]
to my shock I found out that one of my digital packages I am selling on the [Digital marketplace of choice] marketplace can be downloaded for free on your website.
The link to this package is: [direct URL-Link to the file]
General Information you need according to the DMCA:
The report date is: [Current Date]
Name, First name: [Last name, name]
Occupation: [your job, the gamedev related one is suggested]
Residence: [Address + number, zip code, city, county/province/country]
Nationality: [Your nationality]
Date & place of birth: [Date, Place of birth]
Phone no. [Phones Country code, Phone number]
Description of facts/precise location:
- This content can only be sold on the [Digital marketplace of choice] marketplace.
- Reselling is against the Unreal Engine/Epic Games EULA. ( https://www.unrealengine.com/faq#legal ) (in case of i.e. unity, add that one/add that one as well)
- I have not given anybody permission to resell it or upload it to your or any other upload/download website.
- The user who uploaded this infringes the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) as well as the Electronic Commerce Directive (ECD) and the World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty).
- I am the creator of this content.
- The file in question can be found here: [direct URL to your file]
- The original file can be found here: [Unreal/Unity/other marketplace URL]
8. Other illegal content on your website can be found here: [Link to website that linked to this website]
Reason why the content should be removed:
- See facts 1-7 (And additionally Fact 8 if you really want to clean up any illegal content on your website)
- Evidence can be found by following the link mentioned in “Fact 7”.
- [Website you send take-down notice to] can contact me by phone, letter or this email address to confirm my identity, as well as prove this content belongs to me.
- Reselling or Sub-licensing is not allowed as stated by the [Unreal Engine EULA: https://www.unrealengine.com/faq#legal] (Add other websites where your content is hosted if needed)
5. Additional Proof me to confirm my identity will be attached as a file, containing a photo of my passport. I expect usage of it will be professional and not be abused.
I hope I gave enough information to make sure this file will be taken down, if there are any questions feel free to contact me.
[Your name here]