Pipe Generation System

Hey guys!

Here is the next version of pipe asset. Let it be 1.8 (8 changes)

Download: MEGA (4.9, request, if need older version)

• Fixed weird behavior on large thickness values. Thanks to lunyBunny for report.
  • Fixed issue, when many dynamic material instances was created. Now it creates only 3 no matter what the size/length of the pipe.
  • Some other optimizations.
  • Changed joint model to have two elements (joint base and bolts).
  • Now whole system uses one master material.
  • Split logic into functions, so you could use it in construction script (as default), gameplay graph or outside this BP.
  • Commented every variable and function
  • Commented almost every node

add picture

Hi, .

I try your new pipe system, but when i copy/paste it to my projects folder, and open it, i receive a lot of errors: (in 4.9)

The following member variables in blueprint ‘Blueprint /Game/NexusGames/Meshes/Pipe/Pipe.Pipe’ have invalid type. Would you like to remove them?

Base Appearence
Joint Appearnce Base
Joint Appearnce Bolts

EDIT:

See the snapshot:

Hello buscas31.

I have just tested, everything work well. Make sure you place Pipe folder inside your Content project.

Right: MyProject/Content/Pipe/
Wrong: MyProject/Content/Blueprints/Pipe/

And when you are in Editor, you can move this folder in Content Browser, because it moves properly (so all paths are correct and replaced).

Fantastic stuff!

I’ve been working on my own pipe/cable-spline system and spent like a week trying to get it working with dynamic spawning (i.e the player could raytrace a point in the world and create the next spline point and the spline would update correctly) but never got it working as i wanted (it would not make the bends between spline points good). Do you have any idea how to make this work?

You can do a line trace (raytrace, whatever)
On hit location spawn this/your class
On second trace get spline component and add point in hit location (Add Local/World Point ).
Set tangents of those points to “Hit normal * 50(or smth like that)”. That would give you nice pipe, that will exit from one place and enter to another smoothly.

With my system it will be something like this:
(Clickable)
http://s1.uploadpics.ru/images/bkvaqihI8g.png
http://s1.uploadpics.ru/images/-yvljj3I8l.png

I’m working on a new system, that will include my spline-based geometry generation and module generation (like this pipe) in one big and universal system, so those “Update” nodes are a bit different, but idea is the same.

Thank you so much! You have saved me so much headache.

Edit: I cant get it to work like in your picture, here is some screenshots to show what’s happening:

I had a different mesh generation system for 4.8 but when I upgraded to 4.9 it got all messed up. I saw your updated script it working quite well but it hasn’t solved one of the problems I painstakingly worked out… which is how to stop the pipe from creating holes at 90 degree in the spline. Do you plan on investigating that? Or know of a solution? Thanks in advance! Great work!

good to see this awesome man nice work.

Hey @buscas31, I had the same problem you did and all I needed to do was shut down the other Unreal tabs I had open. I don’t get why that made a difference, but it did. So, if you’re still having trouble, give that a try.

You are amazing man

Regretfully the link is down :frowning:

I just downloaded it, does it work with 4.14?

I don’t know, actually. Just try.

Now this just saved me a lot of work! Thank you, good sir!!

(btw: it works perfectly with 4.16.1)

Hi all,

I am Kind of new in the worl of Unreal. For one of my first more complex Projects I would like to use this pipe System. I was able to create some longer pipes but I couldn’t figure out how to use collisions. Can someone give me a hint ?