Picture for player portrait

I have a player creation screen. What I’d like to happen is when you press the accept button - it takes a picture of your character, and saves image. I’d then like to run an event that uses that image to update the player’s portrait on their HUD and in a lobby menu, etc. Any ideas? Thank you!

Hey there @drewjohnson71! So one way to do this would be to use a Scene Capture 2D to Render Texture to take the original shot, then export them to keep them as an asset and use that asset as a parameter for the material for on the portrait.

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

Tutorial for export/importing render texture:

Render Target + Scene Capture tutorial:

1 Like

The method from @SupportiveEntity is excellent. Here is an alternative method:

I think you can use the Screenshots Tool to take a screenshot and then load the image from your computer. Here is a tutorial: Import Images During Runtime | Community tutorial

2 Likes

Oh that’s excellent! It’s likely also more performant than render targets in this regard. However if you do updating portraits or anything similar RTs would be needed for that feature.

2 Likes

thank you!

@SupportiveEntity thank you!

1 Like