Picture Dice Puzzle Cubes

Hi,
I’ve managed to make some progress constructing a set of picture-puzzle dice, but I could really use some advice in terms of crafting a Blueprint with 6 sets of textures turned into parameters and then set up as arrays. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. The link below illustrates the basic idea. I’d like to draft a version of that game in 3D space. Going with an oversized version - or all widget / menu version are options or features I guess. I’d be grateful for any help. Thanks again.

It’s a bit vague, so the help is also vague, I’m afraid.

You can make a UV map for a cube that has a different material on each face ( in Blender or in UE using geometery mode SHIFT5 ).

You can use the UV coordinates to choose which part of the picture you will be showing. Those coords would be parameters on the cube BP.

( I would recommend each cube being a blueprint, much easier to control. )

The player could interact directly with the cubes, or through a widget, up to you.

1 Like

Sincere apologies for the Vagueness.

I have spent a bit of time in photoshop and whatnot.
I have an array of 18 blocks set in 3 rows of 6 for a landscape image. That said - the core array is made of 9 blocks, with 6 sides each for 54 textures - 108 for the full 18 blocks.

What I’m looking for is a blueprint approach so that Unreal will apply a new selection of textures / materials to each of the 6 sides to each block, ensuring that 1 Material from each of the 6 arrays (sets of 18 for each sides of the cube) are applied.

I would still need a way to read the blocks once set in the correct arrangement, but one step at a time, as they say…

Point being, I’m not looking to slice an image up, but rather to organize a group of materials and apply them to a set of meshes in a random order, like shuffling a deck of cards.

• export the mesh with materials slots (here is old 3ds Max whose fbx exporter makes a mess out of names :expressionless: ):

• make a material:

• create dynamic instances, pipe in the texture:

ensuring that 1 Material from each of the 6 arrays (sets of 18 for each sides of the cube) are applied.

Add a second loop and pipe in a new texture array to assign texture params on others cubes (not entirely sure how the texture sets are supposed work here, tbh - treat it like pseudoscript for demo purposes only)

Namely:

not looking to slice an image up

In case someone else does in relation to the above:

You could make arrays of UV coords and have a set of 6 images distributed across the faces in random order.

1 Like

This is A w e s o m e ! Thank you!!!

1 Like