Picking up Objects with Vive beyond just AttachActorToComponent

No it uses a FABRIK node in the animation blueprint to add IK to the hands to reach for the motion controllers. It isn’t perfect but I threw it together in an hour or so to see what it felt like.

Thank you so much! I’ll try that to see whether it works for my project :slight_smile:

Nice thread! What I’ve found out in 4.12 is if you use AttachActorToComponent and LateUpdate with controllers, the moment you detach actor from the MotionController component (resuming physics simulation) you get a funky lag/jump-in as it stops the LateUpdate.
Didn’t find the solution for this - apart from disabling LateUpdate for the MotionController, but then you get a visible lag when you compare controllers position with SteamVR overlay…

I can’t seem to get around this either. Has anyone found a solution? Is there a way in c++ to permanently add late update to attached actors just before detach?

How did you manage to have the bones on the arms follow with the Vive Controllers?? Is this also in the example template? If not, could you please show us a BP of the steps you did to solve this?

How would you achieve it in 4.11, where AttachTo doesn’t exist? I’ve tried various things in the past and could never get attachment to work properly.

As in VR pickups without attachment? With or without physics simulation? I’m kind of unclear about what you are asking.

My posts in here are a bit dated, I have 6 grip types implemented right now, none are Blueprint though (only BP interfaces to them) as I didn’t like some of the work arounds required to get it somewhat working in BP.

Attachment also has some downsides, more so if you want something like a two handed grip or more control over its behavior than just “follow the transform of your parent”. I don’t actually use attachment on anything for VR held items, it is all direct positional updates relative to the parent. Except for simulating objects, those are manually created kinematic physx actors and a high stiffness link to the object while forcing the late positional updates if it is not in collision at the time (late updates and physx interactions have a lot of clipping).

Edit I don’t have examples of all of the grip styles in video form but I do have an early alpha test of the physics based grip using the dynamically spawned kinematic actors. I saw that you were talking about physically interactive methods above in this thread.

https://.com/watch?v=1iy6oM_rkGQ