Physics Performance of 1000s of actors

I am playing around with the physics engine a bit and I have run into a problem with my performance.

I have created an actor with a static mesh cube with collisions and physics enabled, nothing else.
In the picture below I have spawned around 2000 of them and let them fall to the ground and my framerate is really suffering :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone has any idea of how to improve this performance?

It’s probably draw calls rather than physics

• disable Shadow Casting
  • add Static Mesh Components instead of actors
  • drop Position Solver Iteration Count to 1
  • disable Generate Overlap Events (just in case)

With 1024 simulating SMCs and with the above settings I’m getting hundreds of fps on an ancient rig.

1 Like

In this scenario, it’s going to be mainly about shadows.

Thanks, this helped alot!
Now I can have around 7000 cubes before it becomes unplayable :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you have any more good tricks to be able to have even more?

ue5 physic (chaos) a mutch slower than old physic, and im not talking about%, chaos is slower at least 3 times sometime 10 times.

The approximate percentage is about 80.
From testing the seme scenarios in both sauces.

This may have gotten better with ue5 - there’s about 1 or 2 years of development since I benched.
Also new processors which hog down a lot less, so testing the new stuff on the same old processor would give me a decent comparative metric, but you wouldn’t find many using the same i9 anymore.

Overall chaos is aptly named. A total mess.

its become slower and slower with every new ue5 version, so i assume …

It’d be interesting to see a POLL about Chaos. How many users are sticking with UE4 to avoid it for now?
Plus, how many others have attempted to port PhysX over to UE5 (as some at least have apparently tried). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like