Physics Control Component no longer trigger collision Hit events

Hello,

Previously, I used hit events to trigger melee to damage my pawns, which worked great.

Recently, I added a Physics Control Component so that they physically respond to my punches, which is cool!

The problem is that the hit events are not triggers anymore, like as if they are bending their bodies; they don’t block anymore.

Is this intended? Is there any solution for this? I am thinking of using overlap instead of hit event, but it is less practical (I liked having impact hit normal, velocity, etc.)

Thank you.

That component is still experimental as of 5.3.1 and while it works OK, there’s probably a bunch of issues with it - I’ve experienced some, too.

I just tested it, and providing the Simulation Generates Hit Events is enabled, the physics control comp driven mesh does produce hits reliably, or so it seems. Could you demonstrate the script that should trigger a hit but does not?

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is my blueprint : Melee Hit event posted by anonymous | blueprintUE | PasteBin For Unreal Engine (velocity threshold = 500)

I am still using 5.2 so maybe there were some fixes in 5.3! Or maybe the velocity is impacted rather.

I’ve tested it with Component Hits and now with Actor Hits, too (like you did) - I’m getting hits from simple rotation:

Technically it’s just a super fancy physics controller, how the underlying physics works should not be affected. But I’ve only been using it for a couple of months or so, and have yet to look under the hood.

Recently, I added a Physics Control Component so that they physically respond to my punches, which is cool!

Which component are you effecting with the physics control? How does it work in this instance?

Can’t see any roadmap updated for this - hopefully it’s being worked on. It’s a neat, versatile system.

HitPhysicsControlComponent ‐ Réalisée avec Clipchamp
First one is with physics control component enabled, second is without.

I added the physics control component on my pawn and made a Create Controls and Body Modifiers from Limb Bones.

Please note that it hits a bone well if I don’t include it in the physical control limb data.

There’s more to it, right? You’re also using a physics handle?

Nope, that’s the magic of it! :confetti_ball:

I let drive the body on animation first. Then the limb data tell which bones are affected by physics, and the world space control data tell how much resistance the pawn has.

Here is the video that inspired me.

I know the doggo vid, it’s awesome! But you’re whacking the ants with whatever you’re holding - are you not holding it with a physics handle? It’s a mesh attached to a limb?

Trying to figure out which element of the entire system no longer simulates physics and thus cannot deliver hits. You say it’s the physics control but, on its own, it does hit.

So a combination of animation + physics affected bones + feedback from physics control component?

I must say this looks pretty convincing. Like something made for VR.

Thanks, yeah it really adds feeling of immersion for the melee part.

That being said, I don’t want the game feel to impact the gameplay, you know :rofl:

I don’t want to say wrong things because I didn’t code this part (it’s from a C++ plugin), but I think the book is effectively physically constrained to the hand during gripping.

I suspect physics control because I have no problem without it :smirk:

1 Like

After logging the velocity I see that indeed it hits but at lower velocity so it rarely reaches the threshold.

Still, it would not be easy to filter hit bones that are part of the simulation or not because the “Other Comp” is the same: skeletal mesh.

Maybe we can find better data to use instead of Normal Impulse? Like the current book velocity idk?

1 Like

Mhh, the velocity of the object itself is too low as well…
The physical reaction is really minimizing the hit impact…

1 Like

I am not super happy with it, but for now I will stick with two velocity treshold for the normal impulse strength: one for npc using physical control and one for npc not using it.

The downside it that it will be easy to trigger damage on non simulating part of the npcs…

1 Like