Physics control - Angular/Linear Velocity

Hello,

I have a problem with Physics (Unreal Engien 5.3) of a vehicle such a excavator.

When I control parts of this vehicle (arm parts, arm rotation, stabilizers) using Angular (Set Angular Orientation Target)/Linear (Set Linear Position Target) Target then it is almost OK. Problem is with collision, because I’m setting value of this functions depending of delta time and user input and when something is colliding I’m just setting furter value. This makes that sometime vehicle arm passes the colliding object, because target is to far. Also when the collision passes and there is no user input, the arm moves because target is set…

Logical and natural way is not use Angular Motor -> Orientation Target/Linear Motor -> Position Target but Angular Motor -> Target Velocity/Linear Motor -> Velocity Target and this almost work. When I add force based on user input the motor behaves almost correct. When there is a collision it stops.
But now the problem when there is no input, no Angular Motor -> Target Velocity the gravity/other forces (collisions) makes it move, but I don’t want this.

The question is how should I make (control) such joins the physics correct way?

Should I use Position Target with Velocity Target, but how? Or something else?

Use case:

• user controls a part of vehicle (one actuator),
  • force is applied to given part (Velocity Target?),
  • when something is blocking is should stop,
  • when no force is applied it should stay in last position (gravity other collision should have almost no impact on position of given constraint).

Help would be appreciated.