Physics constraint component behaves unexpectedly on rotated actors in scene

I tried posting this on answers.unrealengine.com but didn’t get a response.

Using Unreal Engine 4.5 blueprint, I’ve created a dumpster physics prop with a left and right lid attached by a hinge. It has 3 static meshes (dumpster body, left lid, right lid), and 2 physics constraint components holding the lids onto the body with a hinge.

The prop works exactly as I’d expect when placed into the scene with no actor rotation. I can interact with it and the lids flap about within the constrained limits. But if I place an instance of the actor into the scene with arbitrary rotation, the physics constraint seems to initialize incorrectly, and the hinges work but in a broken fashion.

At a guess I’d say the physics constraint code isn’t compensating for the actor’s world transform. When I select the actor, I can see the blue + red boxes that the physics component is drawing are AABBs, perhaps this is related. For the record, I tried translating each lid to the far left + far right of the dumpster body so that no AABBs or static meshes could overlap, but the issue persisted.

Here’s a video running through the blueprint setup, demonstrating the blueprint works as expected when in the scene with no rotation, but messes up after being rotated:

Has anyone seen similar behaviour or knows of a workaround for this?

For anyone keeping score at home this was resolved - see Physics constraint component behaves unexpectedly on rotated actors in scene - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums