Physics: Bones are stretching with linear limits set to locked.

Recently I’ve been playing with physics assets in unreal to simulate a little talisman which is attached to my weapon. I created a skeletal mesh which has a little chain with a coin at the end. The actual chain is binded to a chain of bones so I can actually move everything.

Now when setting up the physics asset I created capsules for all joints (about 8-10). The root capsule is set to ‘kinematic’ so it won’t fall down during simulation and stay on my weapon. I made sure that none of my physics bodies intersect. I also already enabled sub-stepping in the project settings to get the best looking result. However, even though all my bodies are also constraint properly with linear limits set to locked, I still get stretching bones in my simulation sometimes. And when they stretch, they also jitter a little.

I’ve been searching for possible solutions for over a day now, but I can’t seem to find any. I hope someone else has experiuence with it and can help me out or at least point me into the right direction of investigation.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Same problem, no idea at all

I’m having the same issue… did you guys ever figure it out?

EDIT: Figured it out!! After two days lol… I went back to see if the problem was the skeletal mesh I imported from houdini, and the weights were not even and well distributed. Fixed the weights of my rig and reimported and now it works fine! No more stretching or jittering

Hi, may I ask you for a bit detailed explanation? I had same issue with tail composed of 50+ bones and can’t find out reason (
Do you mean skin weight or physical weights? If physical, how you calculate proper weights?

Hi, sorry I didn’t see this for so long. I was talking about my rig’s weights, but turns out it wasn’t the only issue. Fixing the weights made the physical asset work normally but there was still issues once in my character blueprint, and that I can’t remember clearly what I did to fix it… I’m gonna try to go back and see if I kept notes about it.
What’s happening exactly with your tail? Did you find a fix?