Physics Asset Scaling Issues

I created a skeletal mesh with animation and I’m now trying to create a good collision mesh from it.

I understood I can’t do that as part of the import process, so I’m trying to create separate collision meshes, export them, then import them using the physics editor.

But when I’m editing my mesh, there seems to be scaling issues.
(1) When Importing a static mesh as collision to somewhere, it is really huge and far.
(2) I can’t seem to scale down a bounding capsule either; If I try, it’s as if the minimum is even bigger than the default created one.

3 Likes

I have run into the same issue. After importing a skeletal mesh from FBX, the scale of the mesh is correct, but the scale shown in the Physics Asset Tool is 100 times smaller.

So if you import static mesh collision in PhAT, it appears way too big in comparison to the tiny skeletal mesh.

You are not able to use the scale widget to scale the bodies down small enough because of the lower snap limit of the tool. To solve that, you can enable “Use Percentage Based Scaling” in Editor Preferences or add more “Scaling Grid Sizes”. You could also manually edit the properties of each Sphere, Box, or Capsule in the Details panel under Body Setup -> Primitives, but that can be a tedious process.

1 Like

Has anyone found any other ways to fix this issue, the “use percentage based scaling” and adding grid sizes didn’t fix the issue on my end and then changing the primitives one by one seems to take an extremely long amount time to do

If you are coming from Blender, try renaming the Armature object to something other than Armature before you export it.

Well when you have a scaling issue you need to state what app you are using to edit.

For example in 3ds Max this is a know issue of what happens when you use the scaling tool from the tool bar which changes the relative scale of the object but not the local scale used by most applications when the object is imported. What usually occurs is the object will revert to it’s local scale and not the relative scale unique to 3ds Max.

If Max you will need to reset the xform shape so that it now conforms to the local scale using the xform utility or place a xform modifier on the stack before using the relative scale tool

1 Like

Agreed. There is a lot of consideration to be given to the source. The Armature error I mentioned will not give you an error necessarily. But the scaling of the animation (as well as physics asset as I recall) will be 100x too small. I think it is something to do with the Blender exporter.

However if your plan is to use Root Bone, this solution will cause other issues.

Anyway old thread. But I thought it was worth adding.

I had the same problem but I found a solution.
There are some scaling issues in the import/export process and thus I had to have the armature scaled to 0.01 and the main mesh be at 1.
This would prevent the scaling issue in UE for me.

1 Like

Using Blender, setting the armature scale to “100” and keeping the mesh at “1” WORKED for me !
You have to “uncheck” the Convert Scene Unit when importing.
Don’t forget to hit “apply scale” in Blender before exporting.
Shadows, ragdoll and cloth simulation will work perfectly after fixing the physics asset.

2 Likes

I have been having this problem alot and found a solution that works 100% of the time and does not need you to leave unreal engine

basically you have to find your skeletal mesh, right click on it and go to create/ physics assets. then a menu should appear, set the min bone size to 0.0 and all the bones of skeleton should get a capsule aligned to it.

2 Likes

Making a post here for anyone looking for a perfect solution for this in the future. This is a solution for blender users.

First, make sure that your SkMesh isn’t TINY. Like, drag it out into the scene or import manny into blender for size comparison.

If your armature has a parent, like an empty exes or something, unparent it. Then, scale the armature up to 100x and apply all transforms. (Yeah, it’s massive now, but we’ll fix it!)

In object mode, Add->Empty->Plain Axes. Parent the armature to it, then scale the Plain Axes to 0.01. This should bring your mesh back down to the exact size you started with. You don’t need to apply transforms. (image included to show what your final hierarchy should look like.)

Finally, you must fully delete the skeletal mesh, skeleton, and PhysAsset from unreal before you reimport.

4 Likes