Physics asset linear limits cant be locked (UE5)

It seems as though physics assets in Unreal Engine 5 are somewhat bugged when it comes to setting linear limits on constraints. I’ve attached an example below of the difference between UE4 and UE5 with the same assets. Is this a problem with Chaos? Have anyone experienced the same?

UE4 (correct result):
UE4Editor_eJAPiBGtvW

UE5 (bad result, also sorry for the laggy recording):
UnrealEditor_czVFo5astN
The bucket clearly detaches from the handle as shown when simulating.
The results are the same when playing in PIE.

The UE5 version is a direct port from a UE4 project. I checked that all settings were the same and that linear limits were locked. To me, this seems like an obvious bug that the devs unfortunately missed, but I came here to double-check and see if anyone else has had this problem.

Others also seem to have issues with physics assets in UE5 as stated by this bug report UE-150945
Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-150945)

1 Like

I have the same issue, but with physics constraint components.

One thing that you can try is auto generate the physics bodies in the tools panel. For some reason this yields better results than making them manually. Of course you are not as free to do stuff. If you arent getting physics bodies on your desired joints make sure to change the “Min Bone Size” to a lower value

I encountered the same error trying body parts physics simulation. Feels like simulation does not respect linear limits at all, greatly deforming body parts when whole mesh changes velocity quickly. Anyone who has tested 5.1 was this problem fixed?

1 Like

Component constraints should work better in 5.1, but I’m unsure how Physics asset constraints work. I’m in the middle of downloading 5.1 at home so can report back later.

Constraints seem to be working in 5.1

1 Like

Thank you Nilusss, I needed PHAT constraint angular limits to test something today and found exactly this also. In 5.0.3 the angular limits seem to be ignored, but in 5.1.0 (preview) they seem to be (mostly) respected.

1 Like

Yes, linear constrains now working in 5.1.0.
alt+i for simulating ))

2 Likes