Physics Actor destroying self, what is the cause?

I have a mannequin actor ( not pawn or character ) simulating physics and after a random period of time it destroys itself. I have no destroy actor logic in it or on other actors to destroy it. I tested the kill Z at its normal value and lowered it as low as possible and its still deleting it. I was guessing that maybe somehow the engine thinks its falling thru the landscape or floor even though its on it simulating physics.
Any ideas?

Check to make sure the Initial Life Span is set to 0, if that’s corrent it could be that the root component in the blueprint doesn’t have collision set to block whatever object type your floor is. If the root compontent is a capsule collision, it could be that it’s falling through the world and killing the actor, but the mesh isn’t.

Let me know if that works, or if you don’t mind, provide some pics/vids and I can try to help you out a bit more.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the reply! The root is the skeletal mesh itself because I was having issues resetting the ragdoll and attaching the actor to the player. Basically the actor is a dead body that the player can grab and drag. So after being in its ragdoll state I tried turning off simulate physics and resetting all of the values to then attach it to the player for him to drag it but it was giving me issues when the root wasn’t the skeletal mesh itself. I got it working great now but its just randomly deleting itself.

P.S I Checked the lifespan that wasn’t it, and it doesn’t look like anything is clipping thru the floor. I’ll post some pics/vids in a minute.

This time it didn’t even print the text on event destroyed like they just vanished lol
The sphere ( of course no type of collision at all or overlap/hit events active ) is attached to the mesh to track the head location because using the socket location for the head was giving back strange results. The sphere isn’t falling thru simulated or not its attached to it i checked for that too.

P.S I noticed that the dead body actors in the world outliner that didn’t destroy this time they vanished ( hence no print string for it, but why though? ) so now it’s either being destroyed or vanishing
( i think they are somehow going thru the floor when they vanish, I focused the actor and saw. Also the vanishing happens i think when the player doesn’t look at it, I didn’t change any optimization settings that might compromise it off screen so i don’t know).

^ This one happened almost right after I started so i doubt they could have fallen down fast enough for it to be the kill Z but maybe i don’t know.
… What is going on lol

That is really weird, since they’re not destroying but instead just disappearing I would double check your code to make sure there’s nothing accidentally hiding a mesh, and when it chooses the correct mesh to grab it only grabs that one and doesn’t affect the other… For the second option, after “GrabStart” print the actors display name. “Get Display Name” and connect it to “Self”. If you see 2 different ones then that’s it, but if not maybe send a few screenshots of your code, and I can try to help you a bit more.

If none of that works, you could try playing in the default viewport and after you get the correct display names of the 2 bodies you moved, find them in the world outliner, select them and press F to see where they’re going to in the world.

I will post screen caps of the code and its not much its only like 2-3 small functions because I just started it and it was working but then I noticed this odd behavior.

I tried to do more than 1 per comment and it didn’t work, sorry lol

It’s strange, some destroy fairly fast or after a period of time, others are falling thru the world once off screen ( making it look like it vanishes ), the print strings are returning the correct actor and I don’t use any code for hiding the mesh or destroying it. It happens whether my character interacts with it or not.

1-3 is everything on the Body BP and the 4th and 5th is all that the player interacts with when well interacting with it lol I think its a physics bug?

No worries, but yea I agree, it seems to be some sort of physics bug, it doesn’t seem like anything in the code would be affect it but maybe just after releasing if the body is slightly through the ground it falls through. To test you could maybe do a line trace from above the actor a bit to the floor when ending the grab, and then set the actor location to be maybe 20 units above the hit location.
Also test out a few different print strings with you “Get” nodes just to double check none of them are failing.

I’ll try that, if nothing else works then i’ll just try to remake the BP and hope it doesnt happen again. I’ve done that before and can basically nearly replicate it again just to a new BP but it works. ( sometimes ) Well thanks for the help, I don’t think anyone else will answer lol Take care :slight_smile:

Haha yea usually remaking it fixes the issue, especially when it’s just like a random bug. But also no worries, I’ve never gotten much support on this site, so I figured I’d at least try to help out others. Best of luck with your game, and I hope you get this fixed!