Permissions problems

Hi guys,

I’m trying to upload my APK to the oculus store using the Oculus platform tool inside UE4.
I am getting the following mesage…

Your manifest includes the following potentially dangerous permissions:

• android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
  • android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
  • android.permission.ACCESS_MEDIA_LOCATION

So, I ammended the RequiredManifestOverides.txt file, removing the lines…

This fixed the issue with the line…

But the warnings about the other two permissions remained.

• android.permission.ACCESS_MEDIA_LOCATION

I also looked in the Unrealbuildtool at the Deployandroid settings and the only property that existed here was the “WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” which explains why that was overwritten by the overides file.

But, I now cannot for the life of me work out where the other 2 permissions are being specified.
Any help on this would be amazing as I’m at the end of a very long road development wise and this seems to be the last hurdle.

Thanks,

Dave

1 Like

Did you find the solution? I have the exact same problem.

Hi Hayluu,

Sorry for the slow reply, I got sidetracked doing a whole bunch of tweaks to the game but didn’t solve this issue. So I’m now back at exactly that point!
Did you manage to solve it yourself? and if so caould you please share how?
Thanks,
D

t-iwata’s comment combined with Unreal Engine 4 Tutorials: How to Remove Unwanted Android Permissions using UPL (needed for Oculus) - YouTube solved it for me.

Funny story, turns out the READ_EXTERNAL STORAGE permission is getting re-added by oculus’s own plugin!!!

addPermission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE in https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/blob/release/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Oculus/OculusVR/Source/OculusHMD/OculusMobile_APL.xml

1 Like