performance problem with number of enemies in 2D

Hi, first I want to say that I’m Brazilian and I’m using a translator, so sorry for any grammatical errors.

Secondly, I want to say that I’m new here, so sorry if I’m writing in the wrong tag.

Well, about my problem, I’m making a 2D top-down game similar to Vampire Survivors. During some tests, I realized that even when using 2D sprites exclusively and avoiding complex blueprints, when the number of enemies rises to more than 250, I experience a drop in FPS below 30 frames per second. I tried removing all event ticks, but nothing seems to work. The FPS only goes up again when, for some reason, the enemies stop moving. Anyway, I need help. I don’t know what to do to reduce the FPS drop and increase the number of enemies on the screen. I really don’t want to limit myself to 250 enemies on the game screen. I’m aiming for something around 350 to 500, if possible. What can I do to optimize my game?

This text has been translated by ChatGPT

I don’t have much ressource to give you but you should look for thread like this one: How can I make AI have less impact on performance? - #16 by Anonymous_e5d5c0bf7d300728867097ff79906dbe

basically from what you describe the issue might come from the AI pathfinding, the character movement, the crowd avoidance system, overlap checks, possibly also dynamic navmesh generation, things like that that you should keep really basic or disable if possible.

Thanks bro, I’ll try that