Perforce within UE editor not recognizing C++ classes [UE5]

Hi guys, I understand UE5 just came out, but just want to check if this is a bug or did I do something wrong.

I have set up Perforce for my project. It works great, except that C++ files are not recognized by the Source Control tool inside the editor, and I would have to add them in manually in Perforce Client.

I have uploaded 5 screenshots.
One showing the folders that I have added to the depot.
One showing there is Source Control options for my Blue Prints.
One showing there is NO Source Control options for my CPP files.
One showing Perforce Client (P4V) recognizes my CPP files.
The last showing UE not recognizing CPP files for Source Control.

Is this a bug?
Any comment will be appreciated.

Perforce recognizes it

The burden of checking out C++ files lies with the IDE, so you need to hook your chosen IDE up to Perforce so it can handle checking out files for you; the engine won’t handle that as you’re not changing those files from the editor.

I’m unfamiliar with how Visual Studio handles Perforce, but JetBrains’ Rider handles it okay, it’s just a bit of a pain in the rear to get it to play with your Perforce session.

I see, that’s something new to me. Thanks.

I am also using Rider, but I have not hooked it up with Perforce yet. But can I check that even after I have hooked Rider to Perforce, when I want to check out my progress, I would checkout once in UE Editor for most files and checkout once in Rider for C++ files? In other words, there’s not a single button that I can click and checkout all my progress?

Thanks.

Correct, Rider is going to ask you whether you want to check out from VCS or just write to local filesystem before you start editing a C++ file that’s in the repo. You’d also have to manually add source files from the workspace into the repo.

It’s a bit unfortunately but since Rider can help you automatically check out those files, it’s not too much of a hassle.

1 Like