Perforce HelixCoreServer instalation with Depot or P4ROOT on a network drive/NAS

Can someone please share how to setup HelixCoreInstallation, so workstation (Win10) would be a server, but P4ROOT would be placed on network drive=NAS(Synology)?
I'm trying this for weeks already, and all I get is server service not starting after installation when P4ROOT is placed on a network drive. I've tried SO many ways to set network path :| and make it work ... 

If I set server and P4ROOT on same machine (I can even change drive for ROOT) installation goes smoothly. If I set network drive for P4ROOT, I get an error at the end, and service is not starting up.
I’m thinking to install VirtualMachine with Linux on my NAS, then install server over there, but I have negative knowledge about LinuxOS and also VM sounds faint. I don’t know what files to back up etc.
So maybe just server installation with P4ROOT on my workstation would be an answer, and moving DEPOT to the NAS, but that’s also black magic to me :frowning: .
Please Help :sob:

Hey man - I wish I could help more but all I can tell you is I worked for a AAA studio and we recently started our new P4 server and we had to call them and have them spend 6 hours with our engineers setting it up. These are guys that have 20+ years experience and have setup countless servers before. So on the bright side you are not alone but I would ask for help on the P4 forums and tech support. We tried to do it 4 times with out success / with issues. Now we are pretty good even though we created a new branch have to do a dog walk to get that branch working through UGS. For most things we are good though and we have 40 devs spread all over the world checking in files.

1 Like

Thank You Vexar for sharing my pain :wink: :heart:

My GREAT breakdown in Windows Server Setup to set P4ROOT apart of win server location was to setup ISCSI !!! With LUN drive.
Amazing how hard it was to get on track with this resolution. I spent countless hours on research and apparently “the only” thing that one needs “is just” good IT Guy <3 .

GL HF !!

P.S.
Although, I already have some thoughts… I think it might be better to setup VirtualMachine running Linux on NAS, install HelixCoreServer on it and setup DEPOT etc. because imo its much easier and clearer to setup backup rules and Your main PC doesn’t have to run for access. The down part is, You need to learn some basic Linux commands :expressionless: