PDB....File

I found something on this in the docu-pages. I was busy on another thing. Now I can’t find it again…
What is the PDB file for?
This is my error on every project.
C:\Windows\System32\wintrust.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file…

PDB files are for debugging C++ code. It contains symbol tables and such so the compiled C code can be better understood by the viewer. You dont really ever open that file. It is used by the debugger when you set a break point or have a crash dump and need to see where things went wrong.

Thats what I kind of remembered from late last night…some kind of highlighter!! So, any idea how to deal with this error?
C:WindowsSystem32wintrust.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file…
Shouldn’t It have been installed with Visual Studio or Rocket exe.?

thx…

Well, Not exactly. It is not an error you can fix. WinTrust[1] is one of the MS/Windows DLLs, and you are very unlikely to get them to release the PDBs. You are getting an error b/c of something else, probably relating to security. I have only ever used it in .net applications but even then this “error” is not likely to be directly impacting your development. You should be able to debug your program without it.

What exactly are you trying to do that this error is coming up for?

Oh ok…it is in Windows registry. I get these errors when I right click on MY_GameEditor then debug - start new instance.

‘RocketEditor.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\System32\wintrust.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘RocketEditor.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\System32\cryptsp.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘RocketEditor.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

Maybe theres a setup I missed I can’t start debug in the main header toolbar of VS. I have to right click “My Project” and start new instance, but debugging is working that way except with those errors.
I just did a clean install yesterday and this time I installed VS after Rocket so I think thats why the debug in the main header is not working this time(needs a line edit somewhere).
I had the pdb errors before also though…

Those DLLs will never have their pdbs available. Those errors are “normal” for windows programming. Anything in the windows path is not likely to be available.

Don’t worry about them. They wont impact your ability to work or debug.

Ok, thx for the help. I didn’t notice until later there were more simular errors with the pdb. Made the window larger!! I’m very new with VS, I only used context with unreal 3 for basic coding.

Roger. I used a number of tools, but the VS and windows development norms are tough to come by without direct experience.

Please do accept the answer so we can encourage a high acceptance rate. Cheers!

If you encounter weird “RPC” or “PDB” link errors, then you should set bUseIncrementalLinking=false in ValidateConfiguration()

for more info https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/UnrealBuildSystem/Configuration/index.html