PC runs out of memory during project launch/export

MaxMemoryAllowance should be the right setting to toggle. But there are different levels of Ue4 settings to play with. If you go your Engine config folder, you will see that there are base settings for , Engine. And of course there are your config files for your own project. While your the project settings should override the engine base settings, it appears as that isn’t working. Your next best bet is ensure all .ini files MaxMemoryAllowance is changed.

The device profiles could also help you adjust the LOD bias for your textures, which would save memory.

PC crashes with bluescreen of death everytime I try to package my project via the project launcher.

Monitoring memory usage shows the crash is because the PC runs out of its 16GB RAM. I tried changing the max memory usable by the cooking process (by changing the MaxMemoryAllowance property to 12GB in BaseEditor.ini), but it had no effect, the project launcher still shows 16GB as max allowed memory and still crashes halfway through the process.

Am I missing something, or is there a way to actually limit the memory used by cooking and avoid having the whole PC crash? Thank you in advance.

@AnotherZack, thanks for the tip. There are a lot of setting in there, any more specific guidance for those of us that don’t know the engine settings very well?

There are a million bells and whistles. Many things are exposed to the project settings tab. For example DefaultEngine.ini will contain information about the editor start up map. Other settings like engine scalability are detailed here