PC components for Programming! Help pls!

Hello guys!
I want with UE4, C++, Photoshop, 3D Modeling work. I have a question, what kind of computer components will be optimal?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I think you should post this in “General Discussion”.

This would definitely fit better in General Discussion, and it would help if you told us your budget. I would recommend the following build for UE4 personally.

That build is good but I do think that 750W is way to much. See my build(Note it wasn’t built extra for UE4):

GPU: GTX 970
CPU: Intel xeon e3-1231 v3 Quad Core @ 3.40 GhZ
Mainboard: MSI PC Mate H97
RAM: DDR3 8GB
Power supply: Be quiet! 400W 80 gold plus
Midi Tower Case

2 x HDDs (One for windows and one for mac os)
SSD would be faster

**looter, **

Thank you very much guys! :slight_smile:

Thread moved … thanks for the heads up. 8-}

I’d be wary about a 400W power supply. That seems pretty minimal and doesn’t give much room to expand. There’s nothing worse than trouble shooting power supply issues because you added a new component, ran some intensive app, or messed with clock speeds and now your machine doesn’t have the power to boot/shuts down at certain loads/etc.

Always go with the biggest PSU you can find … a 600W should be the minimum when you are putting such high performance GFX cards in your machines … as AdeptStrain indicated … there is nothing more frustrating having a machine power dip or shutdown on you because the PSU is overloaded.

This one includes a operating system which people seem to always forget, a non-stock cooler because Intel stock coolers are terribad, 3.5GB of storage and a video card with a real 4GB of VRAM (970 is only 3.5 full speed) :slight_smile:

The added bonus of this system is you will be able to play almost any game on Ultra @ 1440p60. It is also streaming/recording beast

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($108.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card ($340.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.49 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1464.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 11:49 EDT-0400

I only wanted to point out that I with a similar build am fine with a 400W PSU. I have this machine running since November 14. Playing games on ultra, working with ue4, maya and so on. I never had a shutdown or what so ever. Neither when plugging in more HDDs because they drain a small amount of W. Of course if you were to expand it you’d also need a stronger PSU. But what components do you want to add so you you’d need 350 more W? I’m pretty sure a 500W or 600W would be more than enough and a 400W is really pushing your luck. But unless you don’t want to plug in a second GPU your fine with 500W or 600W.

Ups myself forgot about pointing out that the 970 only uses 3.5GB of it’s VRAM. And yes also buy a CPU cooler because the out of the box ones aren’t the best in terms of cooling and noise. Do note you loose your CPU warranty if I’m not mistaken.

R9 290x can take nearly 300W by itself without an overclock and over 300W with. Here
With PSU power dropping over time I’d be worried about using a 290x with such a small PSU.

On the other hand if you get one too big, the PSU just won’t be running at max efficiency but meh.

EDIT: Just clarifying by small I meant 400W, not 750W.

750W is more than enough for a single 290X

Thank you!

If you want optimal performance wtih unreal 4 I would suggest A nvidia card. (Jusy my two cents. :slight_smile: )
Also If you wan’t to save money for an even better video card. Just get an old school WD black 2gb or 4gb drive. Under a 100$! (Seagates suck. They never worked correctly for me. And the WD black (Non-refurbished) should have a 5 year warrenty.)

P.S. The Asus Dvd drive… I had two of them and they both broke in 3 months of each other… Just beem using a cruddy memorex drive from 2004. It’s worked beter than every drive i’ve ever owned!