Pc build for Ue4

http://www.digitalstorm.com/vanquish-5.asp is the $899 build ok for low end development? And i will upgrade later, please recommend upgrades that you think i would need with this pc adn what do you guys think about this build? http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/gaming-pc-build-for-900-dollars-2016

First, of they are lying that this 899$ setup is upgradable, unles by upgrade you mean exchanging all parts.

• Intel Core i5 6500 CPU
  • NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB
  • 8GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory
  • 120GB Solid State Drive
  • H110 Motherboard
  • 500W Power Supply
  • DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
  • LED Internal Lighting
  • Microsoft Windows 10

This is minimal config, that pc is umm bad for gaming, and just very bad for some serious unreal editor stuff.

Now why you need more:

• cpu may be enough, unless you want build big maps with static lighting, then you need i7, or server farm for lightmass calculations
  • that 960 would be uncomfortable but somewhat working if your setup is just single monitor ( and nothing higher than 1920x1080), but you will want more than one monitor for editor, best working setup is 3 monitors.
  • 8gb ram, simply this is not enough, for almost anything. Lightmass calculation will limit you to small maps, anything bigger, and you need 16 or even 32gb. Also opening blender or photoshop with unreal, and you may forget about that with 8gb.
  • 120 ssd, well windows will take most of it anyway. One small unreal project uses 2-4 gb to keep all source files and autosaves. I have 250gb ssd dedicated only to unreal, and its almost full
  • motherboard is at least for skylake, but you want z170 chipset. H110 is **** for gaming, esp PCI-E lanes, that are limited to 6 when its 2.0 on top of that. See this: Z170, H170, H110, B170, Q150, Q170 - What is the Difference?
  • 500w, you want to add anything, and you need new psu, at least 850w
  • no need for duvdee, remove it buy 2-3 usb storage sticks instead. Google how to reinstall windoes from usb.
  • you do not need those leds when this build lacks in many other areas.
  • microsoft win 10, i am not sure here, but if 10 needs more resources than win 7, and whole setup has limited resources, you know the drill: google & “installing win 7 from usb”

But if you want (or are forced to do it) to go with this setup: (ordered by importance) ;

• get decent z170 skylake motherboard.
  • get at least 850w psu, so you do not waste money in future on new psu.
  • make sure they will give you 2x4gb ram, not 4x2gb ones. So you have free slots for ram upgrade
  • remove dvd. instead buy 2 usb mem sticgs that are 32gb or bigger, total would be like 5$
  • get bigger ssd drive

They look like some not so honest place (ie full of marketing misleading), because of that:
Make sure you will not lose guarantee if you exchange any part or open case.

Here is my setup:

-Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz
-32 GB Ram @ 1666
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GByte
-300,800 and 700 Gbyte hard disks SATA (no SSD)
-1 TByte USB Backup drive
-2x 68cm displays @ 1920x1080

The system is now almost two years old. (Bought it because my laptop couldnt handle Unreal landscapes :))
As you can see, I put a bit more emphasis on the RAM than on the GPU. While 32 Gb RAM were kind of affordable, a Titan X was still out of reach back then.
Although the 760 GTX may not be the fastest card, it is really the RAM that brings working up to speed.

It is really nice to have the engine, plus 3dsmax, plus photoshop, etc open with tons of assets and still no swapping.
Although they are not SSD, the drives perform really good. I use the 300 GB drive as boot drive for Windows and installation drive for applications.
The 800 GB drive is for data only like media and also the unreal projects. The 700 Gb drive is purely a temp drive and all applications put their temp stuff (animation frames, etc) in. Also the windows hibernation file, etc goes there. This way I have hardly any fragmentation on the data drive and practically none one the boot drive.

You can use this pc for developing but I really would search for an other computer…

I strongly disagree with @Nawrot in this point. You definitely need LEDs everywhere. It’s the kind of swag every workplace needs.

But I agree with every other point. Especially the SSD as well as the RAM, are not enough to handle Windows, Unreal and all the other stuff you might need.

Best Value PC for UE4 Architecture

• Be Quiet! …
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9GHz 8 Core CPU – 4.5GHz Turbo.
  • Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX Motherboard with USB Type-C.
  • 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200MHz (2x16GB)
  • 512GB ADATA SX8200 PRO M.2 NVMe (3500MB/R, 2300MB/W) – 6x faster than SATA SSD.
  • 4TB Seagate BarraCuda 3.5″ Hard Drive.
    For More: best motherborad
1 Like

This is a necro for an answered question.

1 Like