PBR Tutorial Series

Today we are going to cook a rock! and rock with it!

I’ve seen the work all of you guys have been doing for a long time, and that’s wonderful. I’m not going to teach you anything, just want to shed some light IF there is anybody here who is not very familiar with the subject. As a person who wasn’t familiar with PBR for a while ago I know documentations can be very confusing and hard to understand in the beginning. So I believe there are still a lot of misunderstandings for people who have not fully grasped the PBR workflow, and differences between each PBR system. Yes each game engine’s PBR system is very different from the other. For example CRYENGINE uses the Specular workflow where Unreal Engine 4 uses Metalness workflow and Marmoset does something else…

What is the point of PBR?

PBR or Physically Based Rendering is a set of rules to follow when making textures and materials and the point is to make them look good under any lighting condition.

So, lets see what PBR does. Let’s say you have a rock diffuse texture map. If it’s bright, then it’ll look bright in game engine too. And if it’s dark, it’ll look dark in the game engine. Same story goes with specularity and glossiness. It’s actually you and the brightness slider and levels in Photoshop. Then how do you know where to put the slider, which value is the most correct? That’s where PBR steps in. It gives us a series of values related to different types of materials in real world so when you work according to these values you will have the same look in the game engine as you see in real life, (Yes that close). But keep that in mind not all values are available at the moment, but more will be made available sooner or later. For now we will deal with what’s already released.

With that being said, you know PBR workflow is different in every software and for now we will concentrate on Marmoset to start. So in the end you can use Marmoset to render your assets in a fully PBR compatible way. Quixel has provided a small chart giving us some of the values for the most common materials we need.

The first thing we have to do is set up Photoshop correctly. By that I mean we should switch to sRGB color space. To achieve that, we have to go to “Color Settings”. To get there we go to “Edit” and then select “Color Settings…”. The RGB should be set to sRGB and Gray to Gray Gamma 2.2.
By default, Gray is often set to Gain 20% which will result in a color transformation in the alpha channel. A value of 127 will come into the engine as 104 in that case which can cause inconsistencies, so please make sure Gamma 2.2 is used instead.

So now we want to make a rock material. There’s already one in the chart above so we’ll use that as a reference. Keep in mind not all rocks look like each other, or have the same values as each other. But until Quixel’s Mega Scans go live we have to wait and do the best possible.

So you see 3 small squares in front of each material in the chart above. The first one is Albedo. Albedo is actually the same as diffuse. The major difference it has is it has to be clear from any lighting information. By that I mean you have to take out any directional light, or generally light, and any AO and shadows.

I just downloaded rock texture from CGTextures as I’m writing, and I didn’t touch it at all apart from a little photoshop for making it tileable.

(Size of images is lowered to 512x512)

A quick way to remove all the lighting information is to duplicate the texture in a new layer, desaturate it and invert it (Ctrl+I) and put the blending mode on soft light. lightens the shadows and darkens the highlights. is not the best way and it takes more work but it’s the fastest for tutorial. Cheers to my friend Jack McKelvie for . But the proper way to do so would be either removing all the shading manually or using the Bitmap2Material 3 (Thank you ).

And there we go, open up the PBR chart in Photoshop and color pick the Albedo square of the rock material (it says “a” in front of the square). Create a new document (size doesn’t matter) and fill it with that color. What we will be dealing with from now on regarding the brightness of a texture is “Median”. For example when we say the median for rock is 147, you should adjust the brightness value for your rock texture as well until it’s median says 147. So where do we see the median? Click on the “Window” menu and then click on “Histogram”. will open a small box on the right side of the image editing space, click on the corner and hit expanded view. In the drop down choose “Luminosity” and then under the histogram you see Median value. So you are actually seeing the Median value of the color you have filled the document with. And that’s the median of the rock texture in Quixel’s chart and it’s 147. Now I go back to the rock texture I have and adjust the brightness until it’s Median says 147.

So here is what I ended up doing so,

The next step is Glossiness or Microsurface. Color pick the second square in front of the rock material and find it’s median. It’s 49. Desaturate your Albedo and go with it. Hopefully, there is no restrictions or guidelines for to follow. All it takes is a good artistic vision. If you want it look wet, push up the whites, or the other way. You are free to do whatever you want with it until you’re happy. But still, simply desaturating it and tweaking the levels just a little bit does the job for a typical look. But in the end keep median of the gloss map at 49.

Here is my gloss,

Next up is Specularity or Reflectivity. You’ll need your diffuse texture as it was before removing the lighting information out of it. So desaturate that too and tweaking the levels just a little bit does the job. It would look very close to the gloss map, the difference is it has those little shadows in the texture. I try to do it way because it gives me the similar result as Quixel’s Mega Scans. They have the shadows in their specular maps as well. In case median for the third square (specularity) is 63 which is a little close to 49. Keep at that and it’s ok.

He is my specularity,

You may say why do they have to look like each other? Gloss in marmoset would not be sRGB so it’ll look a lot brighter than specularity. But in Photoshop they look very close to each other because you are seeing both in sRGB color space.

And the last thing you would do is to create a normal map, and that’s not changed at all. So generate a normal map. I would say it’s also better to generate the normal map out of the diffuse you downloaded which includes the shadows in it. So it gives you some good depth. Make a displacement map too if you wish.

At last, Quixel’s Mega Scan rock material we were working according to:

What I ended up with:

was the first part of the tutorial. The next part was planned to work with CRYENGINE’s workflow but that doesn’t feel right ATM to take a step towards that engine, also community has been so good to me in LFW section so I’d like to give something back. :smiley:
If there was any questions feel free to ask.
And excuse me if there was any mis-spells.

Regards,
Alireza.

Other materials achieved using the same workflow:

Tips:

1. When rendering your assets in Marmoset try disabling mip maps for diffuse, gloss and normal map for sharper textures.

2. Instead of applying sharpen filter to your renders try to sharped the textures themselves before you take the renders. But be careful to not abuse the sharpen filter.

3. We take out any shadow information from textures because our meshes have curvatures and curvatures create ambient occlusion and if we don’t take out the AO from our textures it will be multiplied with the AO that’s being applied on the mesh by the engine and results in unusually darker shadows. For textures you are creating for landscape/terrain surface or generally any surface that’s low poly like huge cliffs and things like that try to keep some shadow in the textures. is one place you would not want to remove all the lighting information because no AO is automatically happening on the ground surface or generally surfaces that don’t have much curvature and pure flat colors looks really bad.

4. If a surface wasn’t bumpy then it wouldn’t have much shadow/AO information on it. If you want good normal map for rocks and generally organic stuff generate it out of the diffuse before you eliminate the shadows so the normal map generator puts some good depth into it.

… I will be adding more

Ask any questions, and sorry for not having a video already.

1 Like

Awesome…Thanks so much for sharing…

Thanks for sharing

Anyway we can get a video walk through? I’m a bit confused. Also, what PBR preset would you recommend and why? (skin, ggx, bl-ph)

What I really want to see now is a tutorial on how you get such great displacement maps from these textures. I find displacement maps to be the most difficult to produce. Bitmap2Material 3 can make pretty good displacement when your source map had some decent lighting information to go off of (also using the new slope based algorithm helps).

Awesome!
But I don’t really get why you use the “original” diffuse (so, including the shadows) for generating the specular and the normals…
Especially in the specular case: Wouldn’t your proposed workflow generate less specular on places where shadows could be found in the original photo? , in my opinion, will give strange specular values that would not make sense in a lighting situation different from the “real world” lighting that was present when the reference photo was taken?

And secondly: I think to remember that I somewhere read that for UE4 we usually should not take any specular map and let the roughness map deal with it? Can you comment on ? :slight_smile:

But anyway, thanks again a lot for the nice tricks, Iam going to consider some of these for my next textures :wink:

Thanks for sharing!
The last time I read something from you was at the CryDev Forums ^^

@President, @, Thank YOU. There’s more to give. :slight_smile:

@JOhnRose81, Will try to do a video of it in the future. As for the preset, I use the default shading usually (Blinn-Phong). But if it’s an asset for UE4 then I use the UE4 preset that is already present on Toolbag 2.05 and later version (GGX). Because it’s told to do the exact same behavior as you would get in Unreal Engine 4.

@joshezzell, Making a displacement is something to have in mind since the beginning of creation of a material. I WANTED to come up with a really good displacement map and for that reason I browsed through textures to find one that I knew would give me a decent displacement map. So that’s not just a tricky way to make a good displacement map, but is also a good choice of the source map. As you have already pointed, the slope based map generator is a really fantastic method for IF the source map has a convincing shading on it. See the diffuse I picked is not too noisy and has a really good directional light on it. Hope that helps.

@, Having the shadows in diffuse is a great help for generating a good slope based normal/displacement map. As you read in my answer to joshezzell. As for why having shadows in specular, the green area is where the light has contact with the surface and the red areas are where there is shadow so my the slope based approach I have those green areas poped out and the reds indent (as the actual) so in the indent we expect some sort of AO going on and where theres less light hitting the surface there’s less reflection as well therefore letting specular map having the shadows in it because shadows are exactly where the indents are taking place. At least that’s what I get from it. Quixel might give a better reason if you ask them.

http://s1.xum.ir/2014/11/24/4dd8c6.jpg

On your second question, that is true. If your roughness map was all black then your material would reflect a clear picture but using the specular channel you can define how intense the appeared picture has to be (it’s opacity in a way). And you’re right that there’s no need for spec map for it in UE4. You usually do it using a constant, giving it a number instead of a specular map. But in my case I was not using UE4 so I made a spec map for my render in Toolbag 2. BUT I could also remove the spec map in Toolbag 2 and just set the specular intensity to max and put it’s color on something like 50,50,50 and yet get a result really close. I hope it was a good use to you.

@Dakraid, You’re welcome.
Everyday I see more CryDevers here. That says something about that place. Don’t know what was your username BTW. ^^

My username at CryDev was Seweiwer, I was rather quite there and was more of an observing user. I remember seeing a lot of your scenes in the CryDev screenshot gallery at that time :smiley: I try to be more open around here ^^

Thanks Alireza! As mentioned previously your materials look awesome, thanks for sharing your secrets! Bookmarked the thread. :smiley:

Max-Dev, sorry bit off topic but would you be the same Max-Dev from Iran from the Cryengine forums from a few years back?

@Dakraid, Never really saw your username before… You didn’t post often. Anyway, Glad to see you here. CryDevers of the past are like family members to me here. :smiley:

@, Thanks a lot. I’m happy you find it helpful.

@savagebeasty, Yes. I was born in Iran. You might have known me as a total newbie due to being new to the whole thing back there. ^^

You and me both. Don’t worry its your old friend Dovonob hiding under a different username :wink:

Man so glad to see you here…! PM Sent. :smiley:

Hi
I’m not familiar with Game Engine & PBR material so i tried your technique with Marmoset 2 Demo , i have not same result , i tried too with your texture map example here above.
In your example above, did you use Unreal engine preset Material within Marmoset ?

It’s ok. I’m sure we can work out. :slight_smile:
Can you post your result render here?
Almost both Marmoset and UE4 presets give a close result. I used the default though. And I’m also using an AO map which I forgot to mention that I’m using it. (But that’s no different for PBR rendering, make AO as usual workflow).

Sorry for the delay, have some trouble to night with internet :confused:

Ok thank you , Default Material it’s better , UnrealEngine preset give a close result than you mentioned
I made too Ao map & Height map within bitmap2Material

**Default Material **

UnrealEngine Material

@, There is no problem to worry about.

As for your default preset render, It’s actually pretty close to my end result except your maps are all 512x512, your normal, AO and displacement maps are made by you and are different from mine and your render is under a different lighting (which is fine).

As for why the UE4 preset doesn’t look right, it’s because the rock is not a metallic material therefore you have to remove the map from metallic slot and pull it’s slider all the way to left.

http://s1.xum.ir/2014/11/26/cc3cd6d6d0da53b7e6418b3d7deb0116.jpg

I hope that will solve your problem.

oh yes thank you , Unreal material have a Metaliness Map , not specular map , you right :rolleyes:

Within Photoshop , when you adjust the brightness , did you use Level or Luminosity/constraste setting ?

I use brightness/contrast. (without touching the contrast bar usually, just the brightness slider).