Download

PBR materials creation process

I’m very interested in how people create PBR materials. I’ve seen many different kinds of processes to do it, many take a long time to get good results, others just do it quick and dirty. So I’m wondering; how do each of you guys create your PBR maps? What things do you go through to make all the texture maps? Do you sculpt it all from scratch or do you use photography? I hope loads of people can share their different ways to do it here! :slight_smile:

It would also be great help to people who still struggle with PBR to know the different ways, I myself am a bit of a newbie with it and still stumble around with creating the various maps. I’ve tried tons of ways to create the materials, and I haven’t really set myself on one specific way to do it.

Using Allegorithmic Substance Painter has been awesome for me… for textures I also use Allegorithmic Bitmap2Material.

I’m sure there are a gazillion other ways to do it, even for free but I seriously doubt you can beat the speed/quality ratio of the “allegorithmic way” :stuck_out_tongue: but then again I’m not a professional texturer (is that even a word? :p) or anything like that so don’t necessarily take my word for it.

These two PDFs are all you need

You are correct in that there are many ways to go about it. I still use Photoshop for 90% of my texturing work. I use Quixel on occasion for initial masking and have yet to try out Painter/Designer (soon though!). I do mostly hard-surface stuff so my textures are usually derived from photographs; sculpting sessions are few and far between.

That being said, the important thing is to stick to a method that works for you. Pick a program and a workflow and make it work. These programs are simply decision-making tools. They can speed up the process or give you more options (ie. decisions) but poor decisions in Photoshop will still be poor decisions in other programs. The quality of your work will come from your decisions while using the tools. :slight_smile: