Paying 30 Dollars for Resolution

Why don’t you,as I noted a ways back, try another 3d package, temporarily ( import what you have into that package, say or maya trial or anim8tor if nothing else maybe,just an idea to help you resolve this faster?), and see if it really is just blender. Im not knocking blender or your choice to use it, just saying …can it really hurt to try ,then you’ll know for sure.

I"d help directly if I could,but Im a tad too new at this animation thing.

Good luck either way :wink:
nl

I already stated its just not reasonably feasible, You quite literally spend 1-2 years to truly learn your tools. If I changed tools now I would be at least 4-5 months of just messing around and learning before I could start to produce anything I could rely on not having some other issue with it.

Its just not a practical solution, Look I had a working and reliable pipeline and it has stopped working. It only stopped working when said they where going to start messing around with the FBX importer/Exporter.

I am checking so many different things right now to try and figure out a way around it.

The download link isnt working :slight_smile:

So when you import an animation from another file it wont work?

Yes!

Basically even if everything is identical but is a continuation of the exact same file. IE I updated part of the animation so I changed it and saved it as my_file_02 instead of _01 type thing. If the animation isn’t coming from the exact same file the skeleton was imported from then root motion will not work. The animation will work but there will be no root motion. The only file that has root motion is the file that the skeleton was created from.

I am going through and attempting to use different Blender Ver & even now attempting different UE4 Ver. So far no luck and terrible results. As I said before this was working prior to some changes, hence why I am trying to do different versions.

This has got to be an un-intended bug, I tried emailing about 5 epic staff members I have email addresses for but apparently if they do not initiate the email it gets filtered by the spam guard. Sadly I already deleted the previous email chains, they where months ago and about other issues.

I am not sure why file dropper keeps giving grief but here are the files again. Updating all the previous links as well.

://www.filedropper/examplematerials

[=;149989]
, are you really this big of a douche? People are asking for help for free all over the place in here. I have been asking for help and not getting any response, thus I put up a month and a half cost of the UE4 to someone that can help me, So **** off. At least its something which I still intend to pay.

[/]

, A question got you rattled to the point of you telling someone to F off which degrades the professionalism of the content here? Truth is we have many on this site who are consultants that value their time to the tune of $100’s of dollars an hour. I’m just stating why someone might ask a question that you took to heart. I’m sure “Many” thought the same thing though put a voice to it. I doubt he deserved a cursing. Oddly enough some might have just left out the money part altogether and I think you would have had the same help. My opinion…eh

Unsolicited advice: Keep it professional and do not let others know how to get you rattled. Some would choose on your bearing alone that you present not to work with you, online and in person.

That said, brilliant for those that assisted despite the toxic turn of attitude. I’m sure it’s frustration alone. We’ve all been there. If my candor strikes you the wrong way please ignore. We all want to strive for a postive environment and collaberation while working with Epic & UE4. Epic provides the forum here as a privilege, and I’d hate to have it turn into a toxic cesspool, therefore… Good day

Hi ,

Please keep to the original point of the thread. Name calling, insulting, or diminishing the thread is not necessary and not helpful. We encourage lively discussion, but ask that it be kept professional and civil. Thank you.

Your problem is occurring because you have multiple skeletons and multiple ‘takes’ in the file. That is why you get multiple animations when importing into UE4, and the warning is likely because there are two skeletons in the file (when it expects only one).

I’m not familiar enough with Blender to give you a solution there - but you need to make sure every file has a single skeleton and that its naming matches the skeleton you exported.

Opening your .fbx in MotionBuilder I see very clearly - two skeletons of matching hierarchy but with different names (one looks auto-named). One root is called ‘Hips’, the other is called ‘Hips_0’. In the ‘Defaut Take’, ‘Hips’ skeleton does not move down - it appears to be your zero’d BVH animation. ‘Hips_0’ on the other hand does move down - it appears to be the skeleton you edited. They both play the pray motion. I’m guessing in the file you export your skeleton from, ‘Hips’ is the only skeleton, so it’s playing the ‘Hips’ skeleton from your FBX on each export.

And again, FBX supports having multiple animation ‘takes’ in a single file - and you have 4 in the FBX you provided:

1. Default Take
  2. Base_Pray_02
  3. Pray_02
  4. Sentinal_Forward

So every time you export the file, you’ll get an animation export for each of those takes - and each one will have two skeleton in it. When you try to apply the animation to your skeleton, you’ll only see whatever animation is on the ‘Hips’ skeleton - while any edits you do are being applied to the ‘Hips_0’ skeleton… which will not be visible.

Sorry if this isn’t very clear - I’m in a hurry. :wink:

Why derail again things where moving forward just fine.
Just to some it up Ghoxt here is my previous thread asking for help without money and getting no real help.
https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?32045-Animation-Guidance-Root-Motion-Issue
So I call attention to get the help I need by offering money and get trolled - pretty much sums it up.
If someone doesn’t want to help me because they think its below them and they are worth 100’s of dollars an hour then don’t.
If you don’t like my professionalism because I call it exactly as I see it without political correctness involved then don’t help.
But then why don’t you let the ones that are helping help and quite derailing / trolling the thread

Moving Forward

Chambered I think I follow you, but this yields to a bunch of other questions. I literally have about 140 animations that where done following this same process prior to this. They don’t seem to have this issue and are already in the engine root motions and all working. What changed? Only thing I can currently find is the UE4 importer and perhaps the blender exporter, hence why I am trying all the combinations / variations of both. But I get what your saying with the multiple skeletons, not sure I can dump the multiple skeletons without dumping the motion capture data and then loosing the animation entirely. I get where the 4 animations are coming from there are 4 animations in the file I can delete most of them from the file before export that doesn’t solve the issue. The animation I want is on the same skeleton I have been exporting all along. I have a rig for retargeting Mocap data that hasn’t changed either and the skeleton I have been adding root motion too is the same. Perhaps blender on motion capture import of the data has changed the skeleton naming somehow. Not sure what to say without looking into it further maybe its a lead. I still think something has changed with the exporter/importer.

I got to try this later but I will open up all my previous files and check some current ones and compare and isolate names and skeletons and see that that yields.

Well I took a quick look at the outliner in all the different files all skeleton names are the same and the root bone is called “hips” across all the skeletons. I never find a “Hips_01” anywhere in blender for me to mess with. Also not in the bone names in properties either.

Is this perhaps something that motion builder does to instead handle the multiple skeletons? So maybe your theory is coming from looking at the files in motion builder? Not trying to demean at least what your saying makes some sense and might still have something to do with the issue.

[=;154214]
Well I took a quick look at the outliner in all the different files all skeleton names are the same and the root bone is called “hips” across all the skeletons. I never find a “Hips_01” anywhere in blender for me to mess with. Also not in the bone names in properties either.

Is this perhaps something that motion builder does to instead handle the multiple skeletons? So maybe your theory is coming from looking at the files in motion builder? Not trying to demean at least what your saying makes some sense and might still have something to do with the issue.
[/]

Yes, MotionBuilder will append the ‘_0’ when there are two identically named objects in the scene (it will not create anything new however).

You’re just looking to make sure there is only one skeletal hierarchy that is being saved in the FBX, because you are currently exporting two and it’s causing all the confusion in Unreal. It looks like you brought the BVH file in as a separate skeleton in Blender, then never removed it after the re-target was done. So now when you export that file it’s saving both rig hierarchies in the FBX.

Again I’m not familiar with Blender, but I’ve been working as a senior level animator in the industry for quite a while - and I’m fully confident this is your problem. FBX will export and convert a number of things in your scenes since it is a package-agnostic format - so you might have some form of control hierarchy in the scene that is also being exported along with your bone skeleton. It’s hard to say since I’m not familiar with how rigging and retargeting in Blender works. If you can just select the single skeletal hierarchy and ‘export as’ - you could probably get around the issue.

Just took a quick look in Blender - in the Outliner there are two skeletons in the scene:

Pray_02 -> Pray_02 -> Hips

and

stride_bone -> Master_Skeleton_TPose -> Sentinal_Forward.001 -> Hips

Doing a straight export with default options gives me those two hierarchies in the FBX, nested under their respectively named parent nodes.

I am sorry in my delay for responding to the thread, its been a busy week with a lot of OT. I am happy though it looks like my issue is resolved Wahoo !!!

It definitely had a bit to do with the progress of time and updates from , IPI Mocap, Blender, UE4. Because previously in time, my workflow was working. I Want to say that the UE4 importer has been changed and it could no longer handle all the data on the fbx file or it handles it differently now. I am no expert so I could just be talking out my ***.

However the easiest solution is what chambered recommended, the issue with getting that to work was keeping the mocap data when you delete the imported skeleton. Previous versions of blender if you delete the imported mocap skeleton there would be no data to play on the rig you wanted. Seems that now in the more recent versions after the retargeting is complete you can delete the old rig and the mocap is saved.

Thus I am going to PM chambered now and see about getting him 30 bucks because I believe he is the one that nailed the real issue.

Thank you as well for helping.

[=;158520]
I am sorry in my delay for responding to the thread, its been a busy week with a lot of OT. I am happy though it looks like my issue is resolved Wahoo !!!

It definitely had a bit to do with the progress of time and updates from , IPI Mocap, Blender, UE4. Because previously in time, my workflow was working. I Want to say that the UE4 importer has been changed and it could no longer handle all the data on the fbx file or it handles it differently now. I am no expert so I could just be talking out my ***.

However the easiest solution is what chambered recommended, the issue with getting that to work was keeping the mocap data when you delete the imported skeleton. Previous versions of blender if you delete the imported mocap skeleton there would be no data to play on the rig you wanted. Seems that now in the more recent versions after the retargeting is complete you can delete the old rig and the mocap is saved.

Thus I am going to PM chambered now and see about getting him 30 bucks because I believe he is the one that nailed the real issue.

Thank you as well for helping.
[/]

Glad you got it sorted! Don’t bother with the $30, just put it towards your Unreal subscription - I don’t need it. :wink: