Particle Collisions with Ribbon Trails

I’m trying to create particles that collide with a surface while leaving ribbon trails behind them, exactly like the particles in the attached image:

hqdefault

This VIDEO is one of the few that show the effect working the way in which I am trying to replicate. The attached image above is also the thumbnail of that video.

As far as I can tell, only an Emitter with CPUSim can achieve this because of the necessity of a Generate Location Event module in the Emitter settings, at least when following this tutorial HERE. This leads me to believe that the effect is not achievable with a GPUSim based on other forums and videos that I’ve seen, unless there’s a way to do it without a Generate Location Event.

If it’s correct that an effect like this can only be achieved with CPUSim, that’s where my problem lies. I cannot get my particles to collide with any mesh or object using CPUSim. Once switched to GPU, they collide just fine. In my tests, I’ve made sure a Collision module has been added with Collisions Enabled in the Emitter. The module is below Gravity Force and immediately before Solve Forces and Velocity. The CPU Collision Trace Channel is set to WorldStatic. The object with which I’m attempting to have the Emitter interact has its mobility set to Static and its collision presets in the object’s details are set to default at the moment, but in other attempts I’ve tried various parameters with no luck.

Is it possible for someone to explain to me the most basic settings to get a CPUSim Emitter that emits particles that collide with an object? It could be as simple as a basic sprite fountain colliding with a plane. In this VIDEO for example, the collisions work at around 1:33 using basic shapes and settings. I believe if I can get those collisions to work, I can finally start experimenting with ribbon trails. Otherwise, if someone knows how to achieve a bouncing ribbon trail with a GPU Emitter, that would be extremely helpful as well. I’m using Unreal Engine 5.0.