Parametric Design for Buildings in Unreal Engine

Hey Epic,
I recently came across the wiki page for Parametric Design and decided to do a little digging into the subject. If you do not know what parametric design is here is the run down of it.

Basically we take a set series of rules and parameters and can use them to define how a trash bin or a mail box should look.
We can even go bigger and define how a skyscraper should look if we wanted.

That is basically what I got out of it…

Here is my suggestion -

A node based parametric design tool inside unreal 4 similar to that of Autodesk Dynamo Studio or Archimatix Modeler for Unity3D. This would allow us to make buildings and props (Trash Bins, Mailboxes, Light Posts, etc.) extremely fast inside Unreal Engine 4. Not to mention that we could in theory sell our designs on the marketplace.

Examples Below -

Thank you for your time,

HeadClot

I actually did a little trial with custom mesh component by bp, and I can fill in any parametric surface fuctions f(u,v) => FVector(x,y,z) to show a parametric suface. That was just a tiny trial.
What you asked is far more complicated but would be a great job for the application of UE4 in both industrial design and arch visualization, even data visualization!

Coming from architecture I really miss some of the functions in revit. Unreal and blender both do some things very well, but making objects seems much easier in revit due to the parametric modeling aspects. Even without dynamo, the ability to make an object that can be locked to certain constraints and plains allows for easily changing sizes so one object can easily be adapted to fit the needs of its context. Similar to the trash can example, let’s say I’ve got a door. In revit I can make it easy to adjust things like the trim, the size the door leaf. In unreal I would have to model both separately and remodel if I want it to be a different trim or door leaf. There’s also no connection between these objects. In addition, some things like sweeps and revolves seem much easier in revit due to the work planes and reference planes. Something similar to families in unreal would be amazing. I’m strongly considering testing out revit models in games using nanite as it’s much quicker to produce a believable building in revit for me. Unreal could really benefit from recurs “sketch mode” as well. It’s similar to the polyEd tool I believe but is used for all kinds of things. Would be great for the water tool.