Panorama plug-in and 5.1

Hello!

Have you or anyone else found anything that works? I am also frustrated and hitting several walls in trying to get panoramas to work with ray tracing (lumen or otherwise). This is what I’ve found so far using 3 different tools in 5.1:

Overall:
Lumen doesn’t work for capturing anything panorama related. I’ve mostly been trying to use standalone ray traced for gi, reflections, etc., but it has not been too successful.

Using the panorama capture tool:
After finally getting past the “The output directory’s drive doesn’t exist” problem, I couldn’t get any kind of ray-traced GI to work, so it doesn’t appear to be possible to use ray tracing at all with this.
I used “SP.OutputDir …/…/…/…/…/…/Panorama” and it saves the pano to a “C:\Panorama” folder to fix the output directory error.

Creating a short sequence and rendering:
This was done following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpkP1XCF_mE
my results are solid black though. I may need to play with it some more to figure out if I’m doing something wrong. I used manual exposre and turned the lights to a super-high brightness, but nothing seems to work.

A free, 3rd-party tool:

this pieces together multiple 2d captures to produce the final image. I had to use ‘standalone ray traced’ over lumen set in the captures within the blueprint to get raytracing to work at all. It worked pretty okay, but it was very slow and the lighting results always came out noisy. I also couldn’t seem to get anything better than a 4k image.

The most frustrating part of all of this is that Twinmotion, built on Unreal, can do high-resolution, path-traced renderings easily and relatively quickly. We do not want to rely on twinmotion moving foward, as we just can’t do as much compared to what the Unreal editor is capable of.

I’m sure there are things I’ve missed that are worth trying. I’m open to any ideas of things to try if anyone has any new ideas!

-Ben

3 Likes