Pandora | Better Light Than Never

For questions relating to the current active challenge please use the tag UnrealChallenge
For submissions please include the tag BetterLightThanNever

Title : Pandora

https://youtu.be/pziivib7eGw

Student Submission: No

Credits to sourced content:

• Tropical Jungle Pack - PolyAsset3D - Environments

Editor screenshots :

• Description

Hi ! I’m Mat and currently working as a Technical Artist on VR project.

Due to the limitations of VR (especially android devices), There are so many new Unreal features that I can’t use.
So the main goal of this project was to have fun using Unreal engine 5 without limitation !

I’m a big fan of Avatar and I always wanted to recreate the environment and the mood of the film inside Unreal.
When I heard about this Unreal Challenge I immediately though about it.
I made my level from scratch using the awesome Tropical Jungle Pack by PolyAsset3D.
The idea behind my interpretation of the theme was to bring light to vegetation and make them feel more “alive”.
All the lights are dynamic, I’m using the new global illumination system Lumen.

The video is rendered directly from the Movie render queue.
Adding ambiance sounds was not part of the challenge but I will definitely add them later.

I hope you enjoy ! And feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks Epic, I really enjoyed taking part of this Challenge and can’t wait to see what the others people will do !

• Engine version
7 Likes

Hi @Cobicob,

Nice little piece!

I feel you there, “taking a break” to enjoy a better lighting solution without the constrains of VR development (Have done some few “demos” for the Meta Quest 2 myself… I guess I understand a little bit what you mean :nerd_face:.)

Definitely, sound will add a lot of value :slight_smile:.

Hi @El-Grajo ,
Thank you, I’m glad you liked it !
Yes, developping for Meta Quest may be tricky sometimes :sweat_smile:.

It’s been a while since I haven’t used Postprocess and dynamic lighting and I really enjoyed it ! :smile:

2 Likes

Hi friend, I need that stage for a vinyl print, awesome!