Side FX Software
Software Developer (UE4) - 12 months contract
For over thirty years, SideFX has been providing artists with procedural 3D environment, animation and visual effects tools designed to produce the highest-quality cinematic results. We are passionate about what our customers do because our roots are in production, both as artists and as pioneering technical innovators. SideFX has been recognized by the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Science several times for its flagship software product Houdini and its seminal procedural-based technology.
Houdini is used by the world’s top game, film, and TV studios to create and hit video games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman and Control, blockbuster movies such as Black Panther and Moana, and captivating TV shows like American Gods and Games of Thrones. Our customers include Electronic Arts, Microsoft Game Studios, Blizzard Entertainment, CD Projekt Red, Disney Feature Animation, Pixar, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Weta Digital, Blue Sky, and many more.
SideFX is seeking an exceptional software developer with strong Unreal Engine (UE4) development skills to join its Toronto-based R&D team for a 12-month contract.
As a member of the SideFX Research and Development group, you will be working with some of the brightest minds in the CG industry in developing our new Houdini Engine plugin for UE4. Houdini Engine is used extensively in games pipelines today to create large open worlds, FX, and much more.
Our R&D team has received many prestigious industry awards, including four Technical Achievement Awards from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, an Academy Award of Merit (Oscarä), a Technology and Engineering Emmyä Award from NATAS, and four back-to-back Editor’s Choice Innovation Awards from CG World Magazine. Movies using our toolset have received the Oscarä for Best Visual Effects every year in the past two decades.
- Designing, developing and optimizing features of the Company’s UE4 plugin for Houdini using the C++ programming language (and other languages as required, such as C#, Python and VEX).
- Ensuring a high level of quality and performance in the developed code architecture and features.
- Debugging and fixing product deficiencies (bugs).
- Supporting multiple hardware platforms.
- Working on special Houdini and UE4 projects and other strategic and technical opportunities as may be assigned.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge on techniques and current practices in the area of software development, computer science, computer graphics, visual effects and games.
- Assisting, as required, in product support or product sales and marketing activities as beneficial to the interest of the company.
- Ensuring a high level of cooperation and collaboration with peers and managers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Computer Science degree or equivalent industry experience, with a record of academic and professional excellence.
- Strong knowledge of C++ programming.
- Solid working knowledge and development experience with UE4.
- Good knowledge of games pipelines and workflows.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to learn independently, think fast, and use solid judgement.
- Ability to draw from varied technologies and innovate at a fast rate.
- Ability to work well independently and in a nimble team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Tool development experience in the game industry.
- Familiarity with Houdini or related software.
- Experience with remote computing, network protocols and API’s.
- Relevant contribution to large scale software architecture and development.
- Multi-threaded, multi-platform development and optimization.
- User interface design (workflow, look, and feel).
- Proficient in Python/HOM.
This role would ideally be based in Toronto, Canada, but Side-FX is a remote friendly company.