Bit Fry is hiring a Lead Environmental Artist and Technologist
The purpose of the role is to independently deliver the graphic content for the project and ensure that the integration of the work is in line with technical constraints and artistic direction.
- Assess and plan out the space, with consideration of gameplay action/design loop, while documenting intentions;
- Plan, estimate and prioritize time frames for the completion of day to day tasks and track progress using the designated tracking tools;
- Create fully functional assets which can be shared across the project and respect the technical and artistic constraints;
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and consistency of work;
- Ensure the technical and artistic quality of various artistic elements, make changes and address issues with team members whenever necessary;
- Assist with optimization and debugging to fix the issues raised by testers;
- Integrate the produced elements, objects and textures into the level;
- Reference game design documents and develop an in-depth knowledge of the environments, objectives, atmospheres, design intent to create game levels;
- Understand and help drive best practices, production pipelines and workflows;
- Support the Art Director in any ad hoc tasks and duties as it relates to similar types of art assets.
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work quickly, and with consistent quality in the asset deliverables.
- Ability to create interesting, detailed and visually appealing environments, particularly ones that are stylized, vs. those that are hyper realistic.
- Ability to adapt to new processes and pipelines;
- Good working knowledge of industry leading 3D modelling packages;
- Good understanding of composition and visual storytelling;
- Good knowledge of level editors;
- Good understanding of Physically Based Rendering systems;
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Plastic etc.);
- Good gameplay and level design knowledge;
- Knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game develop processes;
- Exposure to industry game engines and production pipelines;
- Knowledge of optimization techniques (e.g. 3D Studio Max, Maya, etc.).
- 5-7 years’ industry experience as an Environment Artist or other relevant experience, or a killer portfolio;
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphics Design, Art or other relevant training;
- Experience in both hard surface and organic modelling;
- Experience working in Adobe Photoshop.
Bit Fry is an independent game studio with offices in Portsmouth, NH, Los Angeles, CA, and New York, NY.
The company is made up of a deep bench of talent in the games industry, with former Disney, EA, MSFT, SONY, Zynga, Turbine/WB, Proletariat, Bethesda, Take 2, Sphero, and many others.
We are hard at work on a AAA-IP backed and groundbreaking console gaming platform, with marquee investors and publishing/distribution partners.
We offer competitive pay, strong benefits package, and stock options.
Location isn’t a restrictive factor, however being in the Boston, NY, or LA adrea would be a plus.
Please reply to this thread or email me directly at: [EMAIL=“email@example.com”]firstname.lastname@example.org