Our team is seeking a Senior Developer with 5+ years of experience in C++ and 2+ years experience in Unreal Engine 4 to work at a lean, stealth-stage startup building software to transform the way buildings are designed and built in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry. We are an Epic MegaGrants recipient with a mission to build user-facing design software.
In this role, you will work as part of a small development team in a lean engineering environment on incremental releases of an upcoming design software with a phased launch in 2021 or 2022. You will lead and make significant contributions to the software’s structure and features with an ever-present focus on customer needs.
In this role, you will:
- Work with our small team of designers and developers to deliver features in a lean product development environment with short development cycles and close attention to user needs and wants
- Provide consistent and valuable technical leadership on major aspects of the product development process — multi-user support, server-client replication, computational geometry, procedural geometry generation, game save/load, history systems, inferencing and constraint systems, and building information modeling systems
- Contribute expertise and intuition to monthly feature development workshops, weekly sprint planning meetings, and quick daily-check-ins
- Engage in open-ended workshop sessions where our team plans how to get from “a user wants to do x” to “here is how we’ll implement this, given our project structure and the UE4 platform”
- Collaborate with our small, cross-functional team of game designers, architects, and designers, communicating the how and why of our development approach
What we are looking for:
- Significant experience in gameplay programming in C++ and in the Unreal Engine environment
- Experience or track record in the game development world, with credited roles on AAA projects a definite plus
- Experience building and shipping successful video game products
- Comfort with the lean product development process in a startup environment: regular pivots, difficult choices about resource prioritization, an emphasis on product-market fit, and a jack-of-all-trades approach to the problems we are solving
- A drive to understand and solve complex problems with novel, creative, and intuitive solutions
- An ability to communicate and collaborate well, both virtually and in-person
- Experience with procedural mesh geometry, computational geometry, multiplayer games, inventory management systems, item customization systems, and procedurally generated game environments are pluses
- Familiarity with version control
- Someone with ambitions to make one of the world’s largest industries (AEC) digital.
- 5+ years of experience in C++ programming
- 2+ years of experience in the Unreal Engine development environment
We are remote work first with a willingness to discuss relocation to the Boston, Massachusetts area should the opportunity arise. We prefer candidates from the United States but are willing to discuss independent contractorships with developers in South, Central, and North America. We are not considering candidates elsewhere due to time zone differences.
DM for more information or to begin the conversation.