Packed Level Actor & Transform Mirror X

I Placed Two Static Mesh Actor

After

One Mesh , I used to Transform Mirror X

Create Packed Level Actor

One Mesh , it keeps coming out wrong

I can’t transform mirror in Packed Level Actor

I realize this is a bit late, but seeing as this has no solution or replies, I thought I would give it a stab.

When you do things in Unreal such as edit the X/Y/Z scaling or rotation especially, and even sometimes position, of a Packed Level Actor or a Level Instance, the game engine I think will go INTO the pack and edit the X/Y/Z attributes of the individual components inside.

So if your pack has a rotation of 0/0/0, but you have something inside of it that is then rotated to 0/90/0, then scaling/rotating the top-level pack CAN effectively swap the x and y axis. Especially scaling, I think.

I can’t say for sure exactly when this is caused, and in what conditions. But I’ve seen it happen enough times that I try to build and edit all of my packs now with an assumed rotation of 0,0,0. I would avoid rotating a pack, and then copy-pasting something into it that has a 0,0,0 rotation (or different rotation, etc). Might also be related to pivot points.

One more note. If you have a packed level actor placed in multiple places and want to edit it, do not simply edit one of them randomly. Instead, make a copy of it, set all of the scaling to 1:1:1, all of the rotations to 0:0:0, and set the coordinates to something with nice and even numbers (eg, 5000,5000,0). Only then should you right-click it and go to Level > Edit.

This will make sure that when you’re editing the pack, and especially if you’re pasting in other meshes or whatever, that it all happens in the same frame of reference. You won’t have any scaling issues this way, no rotation issues, no axis-swapping issues, your coordinates within this specific edit will tend to be more clean too. And you can more easily control the pivot point, if you’re trying to line things up more precisely.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.