Packaging Project with Plugin Linker Error

I have created a project that incorporates the MaxQ Spaceflight Plugin from the Marketplace. It works fine when testing in the editor.

However, when packaging the project for shipping, I get the following error:

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘PATH\Plugins\MaxQ\Source\ThirdParty\CSpice_Library\lib\Win64\cspice.lib’

When I navigate to the Unreal Project path, there is no such Plugins folder. But there is:
‘PATH\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\MaxQ\Source\ThirdParty\CSpice_Library\lib\Win64\cspice.lib’

How can I change my project to point towards this file instead of the nonexistent folder in my Project path? Or move it into that location so that it packages?

Hi MasterCheif,

Copy the whole MaxQ plugin into your project folder in a subfolder called “Plugins” - it pays to do that for all runtime plugins.

I had the same problem today. I posted your question to the Space Sim Developer Discord ( https://discord.gg/3Rf8sKDK ), where the MaxQ plugin devs hang around sometimes. I will inform you when I have got an answer. :slight_smile:

Greetings @MasterCheif

Were you able to resolve the error? If not, I’d recommend taking a peek at this post. It was the same fatal error(on a different lib file. But, the same type of issue) and there were some users who were able to fix it. I hope that this is helpful!

Hello @RecourseDesign , @Gandmof , @FrostyJas

Thank you for the recommendations. I had actually fixed the error but then left town for a bit so I wasn’t able to post my solution.

What I ended up doing was:

I copied the MaxQ folder from ‘PATH\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\MaxQ’ and pasted it into a new ‘Plugins’ folder that I created in the project path, ‘PATH\Plugins'.

This allowed the export to happen, but I noticed that nothing was happening in the application. I assumed this to mean that the exporting still wasn’t really working, but I was wrong. Instead of exporting for shipping, I exported for development. When I ran it again, I noticed that there were things being printed to the screen from a MaxQ command. Turns out only some of the commands weren’t working, so I printed their error messages in a new export.

I ended up needing to use “spklef” to load an ephemeris file in the BeginPlay method before doing anything else. (In my case, I loaded “de430.bsp”). For some reason this is required when using “spkpos” in a shipped version, but not in the Editor.

However, upon exporting and running again, I got a different error. For some reason, Unreal wasn’t exporting the “Spice/Kernels/Core/” folders and files that are required for MaxQ to use. I simply copied this folder from the Content folder of the Unreal Project and pasted it into the Content folder of the export, and voila! It worked.

4 Likes

Excellent! I’m glad that you were able to get it all resolved! I’ll mark this as the solution so that other members of the community can benefit from your findings. Thank you @MasterCheif!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.