Packaging problem - UE asking for visual studio?

Hi all!

So I was going to try to package a version of my game to send to some friends, I have only done this once before but that time things went smooth, now UE wants me to install Visual studio. I don’t think I had that installed the last time either. Does anyone know why this happens? I have FMOD-plugin and the destructable mesh plugin. Could that be making the problem?

Thanks for any insight!

Oh that is a bummer… I did some trial and error on the plugins like you said and it seems that FMOD is the one stopping it from going thru. I have all my sound running thru there so that sucks. There is a option in the plugin-tab to “package”, not really sure what that does I can’t find any documentation on it. Is the packaging with VS really involved?

Thanks for the heads up Clavos!

Hm… So I installed Visual Studio but UE does not seem to register that, I guess I have to do some diving into the documentation.

Okay! So if anyone else has the same issues as my further down the line here is what happened and how I solved it:

1. UE4 wanted me to get Visual Studio 2017 in order to pack the game. I went and got the 2019-version. That was a mistake, I would later find out that you need the 2017 version in order to pack with FMOD(as far as I can tell).
  2. The game would not pack because I had a fmod-file with an “&”-character inside of the file name. Easy fix.
  3. The game still did not want to pack because some material with missing files in them. Removed those since I was not even using them.
  4. When I finally got a working package the game was missing all of the FMOD audio. The fix was to “validate FMOD” in the UE4 help Menu.

I am glad I am finally got this sorted, as someone that is just a few months in to making games and UE I have now learned that I need to take all warnings when compiling and building seriously if I want to be able to pack. Hope this is helpful to anyone else. Cheers!

1 Like

^^^^ I like this guy ^^^^
welcome to the dark side of game dev debugging! and kuddos for a: being able to solve your problem and b: postng the solution!