Packaged project crashes when entering a level from the main menu level UE5

Hi my project occasionally crashes when entering a level from the main menu level , I have 25 levels on my project , after entering any level I can play normally whitout any issue from level 1 to 25 , restarting the levels also works with no issues

I have reinstalled the engine , delete the intermediate and build folder from the project folder with no results

Any suggestions will be appreciated
RollingRush.log (63.0 KB)

Hey @ShakaBond!

If everything works except when you select your level, double check that your level is actually being selected and loaded. Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff suggests your code/blueprint may be calling on a null/invalid pointer.

I hope the above points you in the direction you need!

Hello thanks for your quick response
I do get a frame inside of the level before the crash

Hey @ShakaBond,

If the crash is being caused by your level selector, you won’t be able to open a level before it crashes.

Are you using C++ or blueprints? What do those look like? Does this happen on specific levels? We need more information to tell you how to fix your issue other than just determining the error might be caused by your level selector.

Any additional information or specifics you can provide will go a long way in solving your problem.

Hi I am using blueprints
My level selector is 25 buttons that when pressed open the respective level
Gonna annex some images to show you

Hey @ShakaBond

So now that we know what you are using blueprints, there is still the matter of “Does this happen on specific levels?” If the menu is getting incorrect names/not reading the names correctly, have you tried “Open Level (by Object Reference)”?

If you try and reproduce your error (making sure editor symbols for debugging is installed in your install options) does the same error log get reproduced? Would you mind sharing that?

Hopefully the above helps provide more direction in solving your problem, and answering the above should narrow down your search.

Hi

The crash happens in any level , sometimes on the very first time I open a level from the menu sometimes I can actually open 3 4 5 levels from the menu until ih happens

I have changed to Open Level by reference and also installed Editor symbols for debugging , tried to play and have a log with a different error
RollingRush.log (98.9 KB)

I also created a new empty level with just the UI and it still crashed

Hey @ShakaBond,

As priority 1 (because this may be the actual root cause of the issue), there are actually several errors that look like they need to be addressed.

LogWindows: Failed to load 'aqProf.dll' (GetLastError=126)

LogWindows: Failed to load 'VtuneApi.dll' (GetLastError=126)

LogWindows: Failed to load 'VtuneApi32e.dll' (GetLastError=126)

Here is a thread with the same error that solved how to correct these files:

There is also:

LogWindows: Error: Assertion failed: FMallocBinned2::FPoolInfo::IsSupportedSize(Size) [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\MallocBinned2.cpp] LogWindows: Error: Invalid Malloc size: '105369866224'

Is your project using the built in Malloc_Verify like in the following post?

I would address the top issue first and foremost just in case it is causing the second.

I hope the above points you in the direction you need!

Hello

I have been looking to all the information that you send me , the first topic did not fix the issue but I did guide me in the right direction

After some testing I realize that any package project that I have done in UE5 it always has the (GetLastError=126) error , and every project in UE4.26 does not have the error

I have reinstall the engine deleted the C:/Users/{system username}/AppData/Local/UnrealEngine folder m has the intermediate and saved folder from the project and the issue still persists

At this point I am considering formatting my pc

The second topic Malloc_Verify I honestly don t know if it s on our how to turn it on

Hey @ShakaBond

So deleting the contents of that folder and rebuilding your VS files did not work?

Did you upgrade this project from UE4? There could be a code or blueprint issue here causing a memory leak (Malloc = Memory Allocation).

This can also be caused by trying to compress or allocate data/memory, are you doing that anywhere in your code?

I never generated vs files for this project , I did upgrade it from UE

I am not allocating or compressing any data

Upgrading the project to UE 5 seems to be the mistake , is there any way to make sure is not damaged from the migration?

Or Should I just restart from scretch?
It is anoying but I could do it a week

Hey @ShakaBond

I would try the suggested solution of regenerating the VS files first like in the thread posted above. My suggestion after that would be to first go through your blueprints and make sure they all compile and save correctly then rerun it. If not, I would replace your blueprints with those made in UE5 so that the code contained within them are all updated appropriately.

As far as updating goes, if none of that works, you can try to migrate all of your essential assets to a new UE5 project then rebuild your blueprints by hand, so at least it can save some time.

Thank you very much for all your help

By myself would be hard to understand from where to start checking
In the end was related to a plugin and the way I was using the code in a couple BP , after many checks and many packaged build I got there

I really appreciate your patience , this will be my first game ever , can now start work on the steam page , you are the best

1 Like