Packaged game crashes on steam_api method call

I followed this guide, using editor version 4.24 and steam sdk 1.51

I have a button that opens a link in the steam overlay. It opens fine when I play from the editor in Standalone game mode.

But clicking the button in a packaged game (Win64) crashes it with a “Fatal error!”.
Also made a version where the button just calls SteamAPI_Init() - that’s enough to crash.

(The generated .dmp file throws “Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFED1A44F99 (KERNELBASE.dll) in UE4Minidump.dmp: 0xC06D007E: Module not found (parameters: 0x000000A58B17CBF0).”, but I’m not sure I’m using the .dmp file correctly, didn’t set-up symbols, just hit Debug button in Visual Studio)

Forgot to write, seems worth mentioning - steam_api64.dll isn’t present in the modules within the .dmp file (but it is packaged into /Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/Steamworks/Steamv151/Win64)…

Placing steam_api64.dll in System32 folder solves the crash.

Why isn’t the game using the very same .dll that’s in Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\Steamworks\Steamv151?..

Edit: Changing the binary folder name to Steamv146, and it works… I did everything the guides said, no clue why the packaged game is still looking for v146… w/e…

1 Like

I had the same problem, but I was able to fix it by deleting the <EngineDirectory>\Engine\Intermediate folder and rebuilding. No real reasoning behind this, except that the packaged build worked previously and that deleting the Intermediate folder often helps with stale data problems.

Thanks a lot for your thread! You saved me quite some time!

Deleting the <EngineDirectory>\Engine\Intermediate folder resulted in my project no longer compiling, due to errors that looked like this:

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.3\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\CoreNetTypes.h(8): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'CoreNetTypes.generated.h': No such file or directory

…and then I had to re-verify my UE5 engine install. Did you mean the <ProjectDirectory> version of the Intermediate directory?