Packaged app takes very long to start

I’m fairly new to Unreal development and starting to get the hang of it, but one issue that persists and I have no clue what is happening is the initial black screen when launching the packaged version of the app. On my beast of a machine, it’s just a couple seconds, but once uploaded to Furioos for streaming, it takes roughly 20 seconds, which is not ideal at all… Furioos have an Unreal demo project that immediately launches without black screen, and directly displays a loading screen.

The scene of the app is extremely small : a SunSky, ExponentialHeightFog, PostProcessVolume, FirstPersonCharacter and an empty Actor that loads a GLTF (with the glTFRuntime plugin) and does so quite fast once the initial load is complete.
What happens during this black screen ? What can I do to view some logs of what is happening ? And more importantly, how can I get rid of or reduce to a minimum this time ?

1 Like

I have the exact same issue. It makes no sense. The game loads instantly on a local machine but on furioos there is about 10s of a black screen which is very annoying. Have you found any more info about the problem?

@Caroo sadly not, but I find that when making a reservation on Furioos with fast start on, it launches the app so it gets rid of that initial load

@BenjiHABX that is at least something. I have sent a test project to Furioos and they are investigating. I will post when I get some conclusion.

@BenjiHABX I narrowed the issue down. The long start-up time is present only when I use DX12 and raytracing.

Yes, I figured that when I did a project without lumen, ray tracing and stuff like that it was faster, so I figure initial shader compilation might be to blame. Perhaps UE5 Preview 1 will have better performance, I will try as soon as I have converted my project to it