Package Plugin when my PluginB is dependent on my PluginA

When I developed two plug-ins named plugina and pluginb, pluginb depends on plugina. Then I pack the plug-in. When I pack plugina, I succeed. When I pack pluginb, I am prompted “ERROR: Unable to find plugin ‘PluginA’ (referenced via command line → PluginB.uplugin). Install it and try again, or remove it from the required plugin list.”
What should I do?

1 Like

Hi there,

Have you found the solution yet?
I found this old post, not sure if you tried this before

Seams like the build script for plugins is not searching for dependencies in the host project. So far the only solution that worked for me is to move PluginA (in your case) to Plugins folder in the Unreal Engine installation.

3 Likes

Thank you for this solution. I faced the same problem and was also able to resolve it by installing the first plugin (PluginA) in the Engine.

However, on my first attempt, installing PluginA in the engine resulted in the following error when trying to package PluginB: “This type must derive from the ‘ModuleRules’ type defined by Unreal Build Tool.” because apparently it is not possible to install a plugin in the Engine installed by the Epic Launcher. One has to build the engine from source (github) in order to install additional plugins.

After building the engine, installing PluginA (i.e. just dropping it in the Plugins folder), I was able to build my dependant PluginB. This was with Unreal 5.1.1

1 Like

For me it works with prebuilt Engine (i.e. the one installed by the launcher and not from the source) if I place my PluginA inside \EpicGames\UE_5.2\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace folder.

On linux I use Engine built from source so it works in …/Engine/Plugins just fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Indeed, placing the built plugin under \Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\... instead if directly under \Engine\Plugins\... works for me too!

1 Like

This indeed solves the problem.

1 Like