I’m having a hard time maintaining multiple projects at once and even creating new project from scratch requires too much time.
Let’s say that I want to create a first person shooter:
- Create a new project and select the first person shooter => The character doesn’t come with a 3d person visible mesh (for multiplayer purpose), I need the mannequin.
- Create a new project and select the third person shooter template, migrate mannequin to the other project
– in the meantime a new template version has come out, and has motioncomponent for vr support (it could be everything, maybe just a fix in the sample code), cool, let’s upgrade each of my projects to the new version.
- Create a new project and select the proper template
- migrate to each of my projects
and that’s just for the starter version, I have my custom version of each gamemode, character, pawn, etc…
Now everyone from the .net world knows nuget just as everyone from the web world knows Bower, you can’t really go back once you tried it.
so what I’m asking is a package manager to handle versioning and dependency, components are great and plugins are good, but they are not enough.