Overlapping Collision Boxes

Hello, I’m having trouble figuring out how to setup multiple game events with box collisions if they’re overlapping. For example, in a horror game you might have to go back and forth between Doors but the box collisions for the events are all overlapping eachother right infront of the doors. How would i go about only triggering one at a time for events to go in sequence? I’ve thought of one way where i make each one have an ‘activated?’ boolean that references specific boxes, but I’m not sure if there is another maybe more efficient way of doing something like this.

Hey there,

Have you considered using a single trigger box for a door, and using a flip flop node to “turn it on and off”? Flow Control in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation

Just thinking of a straightforward way to switch the value of a Boolean.

And please forgive me if this doesn’t solve your issue. You may need to look into using on overlap events for your trigger boxes. Like firing the event only when the player leaves the box, for example. I would start with a ridiculously simple example and see what you could
Build off of from there

1 Like

That’s not exactly what I’m looking for, but it’s my fault for not giving more details. What I am looking for is having multiple trigger boxes overlapping each other, but each box triggering only one at a time when the player goes into them. Ex. the player walks into the stack of triggers and only one trigger fires off, they leave and come back firing off another one. I am trying to figure out how to make game events happen in order in a small room where trigger boxes may have to overlap each other but not have the player trigger them all at once.

Ahh okay. No worries! What about a Do Once?

I just threw this together quick, so keep in mind you could collapse these nodes into a function or use a Select node or something, but perhaps the event on the overlap only happens once, and can’t happen again:

(Overlapping trigger volumes)

(Only fires once when moving back and forth)

If you’d like, you can keep the other trigger boxes “disabled” by turning off their collision until the first box is overlapped. I think that is what you are going for, please let me know if that is wrong.

1 Like

Oh! Also, if you have not used trigger volumes before, you can highlight the object in the world outliner, and then drag/drop it into the blueprint to get a reference to it.

1 Like

Yes, turning off and on their collision in the level blueprint was what I needed. Now I can turn on their collision in the order that I need. I tried doing this in normal actor blueprints to keep it cleaner, but I am assuming that this is not possible? I feel like the level blueprint would get too cluttered if I eventually have too many box triggers in the level.

Great point.

You could create a blueprint that was just a trigger volume or invisible cube that has a trigger volume, and the logic could live there.

As far as turning triggers on/off, you could do something like a manager class, or use the player’s blueprint to do it. Tough to say without getting hands on, but I do think it is possible.

Here are a couple links in that direction, in case it is useful:

* Link 1

* Link 2

Good luck with your project!

1 Like

I’ll take a look at those links and keep experimenting, thank you! :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.