Overdosed - A Trip To Hell

Update - 9th May

Decorating corridors – Random generation

Recently I have been working on figuring out how to decorate the corridor sections of the random generation levels. In the images below you can see I’m still using the industrial theme assets. Once I have it done and looking nice for industrial then I can move onto the other themes. The way I’m doing it involves the tile pieces looking to the pieces around them and seeing if it can connect with them in some way.

You can see I have pipes which link up across multiple tiles, and there is of-course added randomness to break it up a bit. There is also a bit of randomness in whether things like lights spawn of other things so you can get corridors of complete darkness!

The ‘room’ pieces are the big empty areas you see here. These will probably be variants of these but each variant will be a collection of industrial assets to make them look like some industrial generator room or storage room. Open spaces should be kept to a minimum to make it more interesting visually.

Yep, it’s finally happened!

6bc29f9de79dbfb9e40489d219ee323d0527a55d.jpeg

Massive thanks to everyone who has voted for us and helped us get the attention of Valve. It simply wouldn’t have happened without your support. We can’t wait to get it done, get it on the steam store page and share our amazing Unreal creation with you guys :slight_smile:

Update - 1st June

Pickups in random level generation and adding a few gameplay elements

Ah it’s been a while! I have more stuff to show off so let’s get to it! I have the generation system down to what I’m happy with. Recently I’ve been adding gameplay elements to it which will vary depending on the level. In the screenshots below you can see all the visuals are there for the industrial theme. Don’t forget there will also be a haunted theme and hospital theme too!

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/7202842.png?365

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/5721788.png?210

Above left you can see there is some sort of gate blocking the way to a ladder (which goes down to the next stage). This can only be opened by finding a door switch (above right) and activating it, so the player will have to do some hunting around. Take note that this is ALL randomly generated.

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/4302963_orig.png

Here you can see a little wooden box on the floor. These will be scattered around the level and are VERY scarce. So what are they? They contain weapon parts. Find enough of them and you will get a new weapon to play with.

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/8824777_orig.png

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/1485636_orig.png

Above you can see the size of the levels. I could make them bigger but I don’t want the player to feel too lost.

Don’t forget it’s still in development so everything is subject to change.

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/1590736_orig.gif

Awesome work guys. Played the demo sometime back and been following the updates since then. Great stuff.

Overdosed Update - 14th August

More on Adventure mode

v=7ovIF_iHLCc

You’d be forgiven for thinking this project was dead with the complete lack of social media activity. So don’t worry, it isn’t dead! :smiley: I’d love to be more active on twitter and whatnot but posting on social media does not get the game done, and that’s my priority right now. On the plus side it does mean I have lots of new things to show you which include the primary and bonus objectives of adventure mode (incorporating heavy enemy numbers and various pickups will come later).

Structure of adventure mode

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/5546731.png?566

Objectives for each stage
Every stage will have its own objective(s) to be completed to open a locked door (behind will be the exit). As each level is randomly generated it won’t be straight forward to find them. The objectives will be clearly identifiable with the colour of the lights e.g. a blue room will have some sort of objective in there; a green room is a completed room. Each theme will have the same structure which is as follows:

• Stage 1 – Find and activate 4 levers to open locked door
  • Stage 2 – Find and ‘plug’ 4 enemy spawners to open locked door
  • Stage 3 – Defeat mini-boss
  • Stage 4 – Find and activate 2 generators (timing minigame) to open locked door
  • Boss fight – More on this at a later time…

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/8456880_orig.png

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/7690397_orig.png

Within each of these stages however will be a choice of 3 bonus objectives
As you can imagine, bonus objectives are only optional and can be left alone if desired. However you miss the opportunity to reap the rewards if you complete them without dying/timer running out. All 3 of them are a challenge and will test your skills and dexterity. You will have to make the decision prior to activating them based on how much health/ammo you have to see if it’s worth the risk. If you succeed you are rewarded with a ‘loot chamber’ with health restoration/ammo and other pickups! These objectives are as follows:

Pit of Doom – You have to kick X amount of enemies into the 4 pits, enemies will not stop coming until you succeed, or die.

Death Run – Fight your way down a corridor of death and plug the enemy spawners, the further you get down the corridor enemies spawn less frequently.

Guard the Stash – Protect a massive mound of ******* from enemies shoving their face in it for 2 minutes.

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/4661306_orig.png

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/405619_orig.png

Next on the agenda

• Incorporating the hub shop. There will be a currency system, earn this while playing the game which you keep despite dying (you may be doing that a lot) and can be spent in the shop, you will gradually become more powerful over time.
  • Various pickups. In particular the ‘drugs’ pickup will either give you a good trip or bad trip which gives you weird and interesting effects but only for a short time.

Nice Job!!

Thanks! Really starting to get some flesh on the game now

Very reminiscent of Alien Swarm (a good thing in my book). Are you planning on re-launching a kickstarter? Don’t forget a lot of the biggest Kickstarters failed their first attempt… and I think this game could do well with a bit of spit shine on presentation! Sell the sizzle and all that :smiley:

I probably spent too much time making the kickstarter page. We never had any real marketing behind it apart from throwing out press releases and hoping for a bite. It never got that crutial initial buzz to get out of the blocks and it just ended up falling flat on it’s face. So much time has already been invested in this project so it’s going on steam regardless. We have a small amount to spend on art assets/music, so from now until the proper release (excluding early access) we will just be doing what we can, and the marketing left to some professionals instead!

EGX

Yesterday I took a little visit to EGX to check out a few things including trying out VR for the first time. There was so much going on it was just impossible to get round everything in just a day, especially when there’s a queue for all the big name games and what-not. Here are few pics I took from my **** (phone) camera!

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/7998894.jpg

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/5716175.jpg

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/4845944.jpg

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/7870501.jpg

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/44600.jpg

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/9413786.jpg

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/8337357.jpg

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/4045404.jpg

…and yes that’s a life size tie-! Anyways the highlight of the day just had to be trying out the upcoming HTC Vive - Valves answer to the Occulus Rift. The game they had on it was Elite Dangerous and it was simply amazing! I’ve never felt so immersed in a game before, I felt like I was actually piloting a space . Just looking around the cockpit, weaving around asteroids, trying to figure out which of the many buttons activates the missiles, it was all mind blowing! HOWEVER, and yeah it’s a big however… the resolution needed to be much higher for me to be completely sold on it. And HTC Vive is supposed to be the best for resolution. VR is the future but it may be a few years off from being a worthwhile consumer product. Still worth checking out at these events though!

So what’s going on with Overdosed?

My list of things to do with this game is getting smaller and smaller! But it’s still very hard to predict when it will be ready for Steam Early Access, but we’re looking at mere weeks away. I find myself just refining almost everything to make it the best it can be. It may not be the most efficient way of developing but if I see room for improvement I feel responsible for making it happen. Even when we release on Early Access the game will be constantly updated with both fixes and new/improved content. There’s just so much we want to put in this game but we know we can’t just keep it to ourselves forever :smiley:

Here are a few new shots of the new UI, improved flamethrower, and a load of dead enemies!

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/7571626_orig.png

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/717763_orig.png

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/227205_orig.png

://www.lazygames.org/uploads/2/4/8/8/24881910/9624831_orig.png

We’ve moved over to the released section. STEAM EARLY ACCESS BABY!

https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?90048-Overdosed-A-Trip-To-Hell-The-insane-drug-fuelled-top-down-shooter-finally-lands-on-Steam!