Out of video memory - Nvidia message

Hi,

Since last month I’m having issues with just playing games. I was constantly bombed with “Out of video memory” and or BSOD and system crashes. The issue were only exists in games using and made with Unreal Engine. I’ve tried to find solution in many forums like LinusTechTips, Reddit, even in nVidia’s official feedback forum but no solution at all, so I decided to involve nVidia itself. They gave me a very interesting answer and a workaround which was actually worked and working since last week.

Here are their workaround.:

If you’re getting the out of video memory error when launching The Finals, you more than likely need to downclock your CPU. Despite the game saying the issue is with your VRAM, if your PC has an i9-13900K (or KF) CPU, then you need to perform a slight downclock to fix the problem. For some reason, Unreal Engine 5 games seem to have some issues with this particular model (and possibly other 13th-generation Intel CPUs).

We have identified an issue on some Intel 13th generation CPU’s where upon startup the game will display a message about being out of video memory or the crash reporter will pop up referencing an issue with decompressing a shader. If you experience this problem, you will likely also see it in other DX12 games.
If your CPU is overclocked, try setting it back to the defaults. If you’re not overclocked or that doesn’t work, try installing Intel Extreme Tuning Utility:
[Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)](https://Intel Extreme Tuning Utility) and lowering your “Performance Core Ratio” from 55x to 54x.”

I think it’s super weird that we need to downclock my CPU in order to be able to play games with UE. (I did underclocked my 14900KF).

Is it possible that there’s some kind of a vram memory leak in the engine itself? Will EPIC or nVidia or both works together in order to investigate why high end cpu with or without overclocking basically overload the gpu’s vram? (People in nvidia forum are having the same issue even with a 4090… mine is just a 3080)

UPDATE.: Workaround not working anymore!

Hi @KukucskaHUN , go to your BIOS, select “Sync all cores” or equivalent, then establish your clock ratio to 53… with this workaround there is no need to use the Extreme Tuning Utility

I’m dubious of this purported cause of these issues. I haven’t had any problems with shader compliations, game crashes, for months and months and it’s overclocked like crazy, but then suddenly just now I’m having issues that never happened before. I suspect there is some driver/update that has broken something and it’s just being blamed elsewhere.

You should log your memory usage in your OS and match the performance report to any issues your game log and OS log reports. Windows performance monitor (perfmon) might do the job. Without knowing for sure what is going on every change you make is more likely to break more than fix it.

Track down what caused the BSODs as well.

I think the problem is deeper than it looks like. I strongly suspect 13th and 14th gen intel microcode issue than any OS issue. The reason because I have an i9 9900K build with the same GPU (because when I was testing, I was reseating the exact same GPU from system to system) and even the boot drive nvme was the exact same and with my 9th gen system, no issue at all, however on my 14th gen system, bumm issues piling up. Unreal Engine games suffers the most but other weird strange behaviours are happening as well and not just with games but applications too. I think it’s a collective issue mostly caused by intel.

Given Nvidia’s response, I take it they believe it’s this issue. Intel Processor Instability Causing Oodle Decompression Failures

1 Like

Hi all, I am also having this issue.

Definitely seems to be unreal games, I have Rtx 4090 and just last week replaced my 12900k z690 PC to 14900k z790. The 12900 config have no issues at all like this.

Now with 14900, Fortnite, Satisfactory and Hogwarts all did out of memory at shader compile. Fortnite and Satisfactory have since started working, but Hogwarts won’t.

I have under clocked memory and CPU, validated files. Deleted saves and caches. Reinstalled games.

Keep this alive we need to get this looked at my the correct Devs. I’d say it’s an Epic games problem to solve but who knows,it’s not ours is it :smile:

EDIT: After some more attempts with some minor changes I noticed that each time it failed the shader progress bar was sometimes slightly further along, and after a few more stalls and 2 complete PC freezes it eventually made it all the way to game start menu. I I think this also occurred when trying the other games I mentioned but because there shader compiling was faster overall it didnt take many attempts.

I will now try to set my CPU clock to normal and some other settings.

Oddly enough I experienced the same thing on fortnite and Hogwarts legacy starting up the game. I legitimately thought it was my video card going out, I have a gigabyte gaming OC 4090 and it scared the poop out of me. I don’t have my CPU overclocked kept everything on auto. I also went and set my GPu overclock to run at stock settings again. Something eventually happened and I’ve been able to play Hogwarts legacy now. Hoping there’s a fix out for this, I think I’m well beyond returning my processor as I bought it at lunch and already sold off my 12,700 KF lol

Hi guys, my setup is an i9-13900K, a Palit 4090OC and 32GB RAM. And the “out of VRAM bug” is, I am nearly sure, a software problem and one that maybe not even EPIC has to fix. I had this problem with Jedi Survior, Hogwarts Legacy and The First Descendant Open Beta. Now why I think it is a software Problem, the three games I just said worked at the release date whitout any Problems, but after the first updates, by Hogwarts Legacy and Jedi: Survior Performance Updates, I got the “out of VRAM” notification, but by Jedi: Survior another update got it fixed and now I can play it whitout problems, with The First Descendant I am not sure cause it was an Open Beta and I will have to wait until the end of the year. Hogwarts Legacy is the only game I have the problem with VRAM, and I tried nearly everything, I deinstalled every mod, I installed some performance mods, I let it checked form STEAM to see if there are and corrupted data, nothing worked. The only way how I can start this game now is as admin, there are no other problems with the game. But I think it is weird that the fix for this omnious bug is to just start it as admin. But Hogwarts Legacy has another bug why I even tried it as Admin and that was the “bug” that after I reinstalled the game I didn`t even got the notification of “out of VRAM”.

13900k on a MSI MAG z690 Tomahawk WIFI DDR board and a PNY 4080.

I continue to get the same issues with Survivor, which refuses to start with the out of video memory error every time (although it did start with a patch) but I also have problems with Fallen Order, Fortnight and Sea of Theives as well, but not to the same degree.

I’ve never had a BSOD, but find most EA games or only after jumping through a dozen hoops, including trying to start them as Admin, clearing caches, using switches with shortcuts, multiple reinstalls and even on a completely clean, recently completed bare metal install of Win 11 (for an unrelated issue) where the only software installed was Steam (with no overlays on) and Jedi Survivor. Still got the error.

I’m inclined to think it’s the issue with votages as a great many board partners clock even when set to “stock,” Asus being one of the biggest offenders.

I don’t even really consider this an Intel issue so much as a bios issue with the board manufacturers.